ITunes (Music)

Reaction score
Recently I changed my Hard Drive and then had to reload all my Music back into ITunes and now I have discovered that almost all of my songs have had the last few seconds lopped off. Is this normal, I am bummed as this music cannot be replaced.

I am going to change the Hard Drive again, is there a way to prevent this happening again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Recently I changed my Hard Drive and then had to reload all my Music back into ITunes and now I have discovered that almost all of my songs have had the last few seconds lopped off. Is this normal, I am bummed as this music cannot be replaced.

I am going to change the Hard Drive again, is there a way to prevent this happening again?

That's quite bizarre. Simply copying files from one drive to another shouldn't cause anything like that. You may have corrupt files for whatever reason. Why are you "changing" your hard drive? Did it crash or develop issues? And is this your main hard drive, or some other drive? How is that drive formatted (HFS+ vs FAT32, etc)?

Try playing your music with a music player other than iTunes or Quicktime to verify that the problem is the files themselves, and not isolated to iTunes. Use any 3rd party player that will do music (VLC, MPlayer X, for example).

OP
R
Reaction score
ITunes Music

Lifesabeach,

Thanks for your reply. I've been going over my music today and realize that not so many of my songs have been clipped as I first thought, in fact just a few have actually. Playing them yesterday all I heard in the background was the clipped endings.

Switched to Mac after about 15 years or so on a PC to avoid the dreaded 'Crash' but found out that Mac's DO crash. About a year ago my HD Crashed and my PC guru replaced it with a T drive rather than another 1/2 T drive. He used my old HD as a back-up and had plenty of problems after that so had Geek Squad reformat the drive and reinstall my OS and I backed up with my Time Machine files from another HD (Ext).

Still having problems; (Black screen dropping down), (endless pinwheels) have reinstalled my OS again with no change. Now ready to install NEW 500G Drive and reinstall my OS and then update to Maverick.

I see where Mac has recalled some late '09 where HD's have failed but mine is just before the date I guess. Don't know what format is on the drive. Thanks again!

Roger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hard drives in Macs most certainly do crash. They are, quite literally, the same drives used in PCs. Absolutely nothing special about them, short of custom firmware in at least iMacs today.

As far as your problems go, I suggest not bothering with Geek Squad in the future. In fact, consider starting a new thread here now. I have a hunch that your problems have nothing to do with your drives. At the least, I can assure you we are more likely to get to the bottom of this than Geek Squad is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.