Getting rid of printers and languages - Leopard

Reaction score
Hello,
I just ordered new MacBook Pro. I assume new machines are now shipped with Leopard preinstalled. The very first thing I want to do is to re-install Leopard ridding it of excess printer drivers and languages. Does it sound like a good plan to you? Is there anything I should consider before doing that? Like, does it perhaps void the warranty? (though it seems very unlikely to me...)
Any input is appreciated.
Thanks,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 2.16GHZ C2D,120 GB HDD 3GB Ram
it wont voide arrrenty. but i wud keep the drivers they dont take up that much hdd space (imo) but i find them usefull when i get to a customers house or work and i need 2 print. just plug in and go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
No need to reinstall -- just run Monolingual or Delocalizer (not sure if both are updated for Leopard -- I used Monolingual) to remove unwanted languages. One caveat, though. Make sure you look at the tabs that come up, the far right one, I think, talks about removing architectures. Do not allow it to remove architectures. Just be careful there, and you should be fine.

As far as printers, just go into the printer list and remove what you don't want.

OP
tomlat
Reaction score
Thanks for your input. However, I guess I'd still rather re-install than tweak with 3-rd party programs...

Reaction score
With Tiger, even with a reinstall, a lot of junk deliberately unchecked still shows up, making Monolingual useful, anyway.

Reaction score
I used Monolingual on my MacBook (Tiger) and it worked flawlessly. Doing a complete reinstall seems king of excessive, IMO. To each their own though. :D

OP
tomlat
Reaction score
I used Monolingual on my MacBook (Tiger) and it worked flawlessly. Doing a complete reinstall seems king of excessive, IMO. To each their own though. :D

Sure, I also would rather spend 2 hours on something more pleasant than re-installing OS X on my new MacBook Pro :Smirk:
I need to take a look at this Monolingual then. Has anybody successfully used it on Leopard?

Thanks everybody for your comments!

Tom

Reaction score
Wow it freed up 3.97 gigs on mine and yes it works on Leopard !

Is it ok to remove the older mac architectures ie everything EXCEPT the intel ones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
No! Some of the PPC architectures are needed to run Universal apps. Don't remove any architectures! You would render some apps useless, and then you would have to to an archive and install or complete reinstall!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
Would those apps work on Tiger as well? I wouldn't mind freeing up a few gigs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.