I'm THIS close to giving up on Chrome...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, 2.53 GHz, 4 GB DDR3, 250 GB HDD, 10.6.4
So. Here's the story. I switched to Chrome pretty recently when I realized that Firefox was bloody slow and made me physically violent far too often. (Also, most of the plugins made it to Chrome.) For the most part, I love it.

However, it's got some hangups. Large ones. First of all, Facebook, (and a lot of other sites, I think they're all ones with animation/interaction components) don't like working. They'll work for a bit, but every now and then, I get the "Kill Page" dialog. If I choose "Kill Page," and then try to "Learn More," that page freezes too. I've tried it on Firefox without changing a thing, and Facebook works perfectly. Once I reboot, it works fine on Chrome too.

I've looked around a bit on my own and found some complaints, but no solutions. I've checked all of my Network and Chrome settings, and can't find anything obviously wrong. Am I missing something? Does anyone else have this problem? I'm really at a loss at this point. I don't want to, but I'm almost considering reverting to Firefox until Chrome gets its act together a bit more.

P.S.- I'm running Chrome 5.0.375.55 and OS X 10.6.3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.7 i5 + MBP 13" 2.26 (2009) + IPad + iPhone
So. Here's the story. I switched to Chrome pretty recently when I realized that Firefox was bloody slow and made me physically violent far too often. (Also, most of the plugins made it to Chrome.) For the most part, I love it.

However, it's got some hangups. Large ones. First of all, Facebook, (and a lot of other sites, I think they're all ones with animation/interaction components) don't like working. They'll work for a bit, but every now and then, I get the "Kill Page" dialog. If I choose "Kill Page," and then try to "Learn More," that page freezes too. I've tried it on Firefox without changing a thing, and Facebook works perfectly. Once I reboot, it works fine on Chrome too.

I've looked around a bit on my own and found some complaints, but no solutions. I've checked all of my Network and Chrome settings, and can't find anything obviously wrong. Am I missing something? Does anyone else have this problem? I'm really at a loss at this point. I don't want to, but I'm almost considering reverting to Firefox until Chrome gets its act together a bit more.

P.S.- I'm running Chrome 5.0.375.55 and OS X 10.6.3.

This doesn't help i know... I've no problem with Chrome and consider it the best browser..

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Chrome is relatively immature compared to Firefox, and even Safari. It just recently came out of beta. I'm not sure that's I'd recommend it, particularly on the Mac, until it's had some time to mature.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
To be honest, I really don't like Chrome on the Mac, works great on Windows though. I would suggest sticking with Firefox or Safari, or even possibly Opera.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
To be honest, I really don't like Chrome on the Mac, works great on Windows though. I would suggest sticking with Firefox or Safari, or even possibly Opera.

Exactly. And quite honestly, for all the noise that Apple and Google make about rendering speed, I think Firefox does just as well - but rather than independently render pieces of the page, FF does it in one fell swoop. It may be slower, but I think it's indiscernible under normal usage.

Sure, if you get a particularly spunky web server, there will be a difference, but most web servers can serve out data as fast as even the worst browsers can render it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.