Jailbreak or not to jailbreak

Reaction score
Who here would jailbreak an iphone or not have a jailbroken iphone? I used to be jailbroken for a while on my iphone 4 but I kinda got bored of it so I decided to not do the jailbreak anymore and just run things normally. I can actually afford to pay for my apps and games since I got a job and my phone actually runs so much better without the jailbreak on. I don't know if I ever do want to use the jailbreak again cause I hardly have the need to do it. It just works the way I want it to. I would rather have my phone be fast and not slow with themes and tweaks. They just take up the space I could use for other things like movies and music and apps.

C

chas_m

I own both a jailbroken iPhone 2G and a non-JB'd iPhone 4.

I think you've summed up nicely my arguments for not jailbreaking stuff -- my 2G is *much more* unstable but I had to JB it in order to unlock it, and also because the last OS it supports is 3.1.3 and I need a few of the enhancements that WhiteD00r offered. But it's now much more unstable than it was before.

If I could unlock my iPhone 4 (which is running iOS 6) I might be tempted to do so, but there's no unlock so JBing it doesn't add any features I need (the best one for JBers, tethering, I can already do on my plan). When my contract's up I'll have my carrier unlock it and keep the 4 as a "world phone." I might also but the "iPhone 5S" or whatever's around at the time my contract is up and just buy it unlocked from Apple.

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
I am on 6.1.2 right now on my iphone 4 it can be untethered jailbreaked with the new evasi0n jailbreak but I might not do it again. I used to have some pretty cool themes but they would slow it down and I noticed not all of my ios games wont even load with the themes. Next year in febuary I am due for an upgrade and I will most likely be getting the iphone 5. I will not even jailbreak that one.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I can actually afford to pay for my apps and games since I got a job and my phone actually runs so much better without the jailbreak on.
I think (please correct me if I'm wrong) you're buying into the myth that the only reason to jailbreak is to steal apps. There's much more to it than that.

I don't know if I ever do want to use the jailbreak again cause I hardly have the need to do it. It just works the way I want it to.
It seems like you answered your own question. ;)

OP
MasterShake
Reaction score
yes I know there is more to jailbreaking then getting free apps. like themes, tweaks and other stuff. I just wanted to know if anyone else would prefer not to jailbreak or have one.

C

chas_m

Let's not call them free. Let's call them what they are: pirated or stolen.

I agree that people jailbreak their phones for reasons other than stealing apps. I jailbroke my old phone and have no intention of pirating apps. I did it to unlock and to add some of the unofficial apps* that I find worthwhile (darn few, but there's a handful).

*unofficial apps used to be mostly free (not pirated), but now they all cost money (which is perfectly fine with me if its something I need, but it just separates the "unofficial" apps from the pirated apps even more clearly).

So I'm not knocking jailbreaking or jb'ers as just people who pirate. I haven't found that to be the case in talking with those I know who have jailbroken (most just wanted to tether, honestly). But some DO jailbreak to pirate apps, so let's not call them "free" apps.

Reaction score
Let's not call them free. Let's call them what they are: pirated or stolen.

I agree that people jailbreak their phones for reasons other than stealing apps. I jailbroke my old phone and have no intention of pirating apps. I did it to unlock and to add some of the unofficial apps* that I find worthwhile (darn few, but there's a handful).

*unofficial apps used to be mostly free (not pirated), but now they all cost money (which is perfectly fine with me if its something I need, but it just separates the "unofficial" apps from the pirated apps even more clearly).

So I'm not knocking jailbreaking or jb'ers as just people who pirate. I haven't found that to be the case in talking with those I know who have jailbroken (most just wanted to tether, honestly). But some DO jailbreak to pirate apps, so let's not call them "free" apps.

Your logic is hard to follow

There are plenty of legitimate free apps available for jailbroken iDevices, so why would those apps be called pirated or stolen?

C

chas_m

Sorry if I wasn't clear, NumberSix.

What I meant was that when someone says something like "I'm jailbreaking for free apps" they don't mean legitimate free apps. Yes there are still some free (legit) unofficial apps but that's not anyone's primary reason for saying something like "I'm jailbreaking for free apps."

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.