G4 Dual Mirror doors - black screen, no boot sound.

Reaction score
Hi

I just got my hands on a very cheap Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25ghz "mirror door" with 17" cinema display.

There was no harddrive installed because the org. died.

The ram wasen't installed, but I got 4x512mb and 1x1024mb modules.

When I power on the machine, the harddrive I have put in, spins up, but there is no "startup sound" as I read there should be.

The screen is all black with no response at all (I can power on the machine through the powerbutton on the screen)

I have tried to pull out the battery in 10min, and made an PMU reset with no luck.
The battery shows 3.6v when I test it - So it should be ok?

I have tried several different RAM setups, how should I place the RAM in the slots? one in J20 and J21 ?

And where should the system disk be placed? There is several IDE ports where I can put it.
(just so I know these two things are ok)

There is a little red diode lighting right next to the RAM slots, should it be red?

Hope someone can help me, else I will have to sell the machine again (in parts)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What RAM did you get? That machine takes PC2700 DDR SDRAM. There are 4 Dimm slots and each will take a 512Meg PC2700 DDR. If you went with higher specked DDR like say PC3200, that could be an issue depending on the RAM.

There should be one IDE hard drive port free as far as I know. The other is the the DVD/CD Rom drives.

Update: The MDD is the only Powermac I have never got to work with. I got some pics and it looks like there are 2 IDE ports besides the one for the optical drives. Either should work. If there is no hard drive the machine should make the startup sound and light the screen if the RAM is correct.

OP
T
Reaction score
Ok, there is 4 free IDE on two cabels.

I know from PC's that some motherboards requires that you put the ram in right order.

On my MAC board they are placed in this order:

J20 J22 J21 J23

The 4 512mb ram is not 100% even. but its 2 pair.

Should I mount on pair in J20 and J21 or ?

The ram is PC2700

Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
I just found out, that the light on the screen should continue lightning when turning the mac on, it dosen't!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You never verified that you are using the correct ram...are you using 184-pin PC2700 (333 MHz) DDR SDRAM?

Also be aware that PC-2700 ram that is used in "WinTel" computers may not always compatible with a Macintosh. If the ram came out of a Windows computer...it may not work in a Mac.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
The ram is PC2700 and was used in the mac when it was working.

I have tested the ram with a PC, and they all work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

I just got my hands on a very cheap Power Mac G4 Dual 1.25ghz "mirror door" with 17" cinema display.
Thanks for the info on the ram.

Honestly, without knowing more of the history of this computer...we may be "spinning our wheels" trying to figure out the problem.

You also mentioned that you get no display (screen is black)...the video card could be defective.

You got this G4 desktop "very cheap" for a reason...It Doesn't Work!!!...unless you can verify for us that it was fully operational before you bought it.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
The seller told me that the harddrive stopped working after he got a macbook, and therefore he diden't buy a new.

I tried to put in a newer ATI agp card, but then it woulden't do anything at all.

I just thought you had some tricks I could try. I haven't worked with mac the last 6-8 years, but bought this to play around with.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just thought you had some tricks I could try. I haven't worked with mac the last 6-8 years, but bought this to play around with.

I'm thinking that if something is REALLY wrong with it...no tricks will help.

I know that you measured the voltage of the PRAM battery...but voltage is not always a good measure of a batteries condition...amperage is better.

For example...a car battery is 12 volts. You can measure it's voltage & get 12 volts...but it still may not start your car, because it's old & has no amps.

The only other thing I can suggest is a new PRAM battery. Some Power Mac's will not start without a good PRAM battery. I had it happen recently on an older G3 Desktop.

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
I ordered a new battery earlyer today, and found a used video card on ebay for $16.

I can spend about $100 to get this on working, and it would still be cheap (after mac prices in my country)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Did you try a PRAM Reset? You said PMU which is Power Management Unit. PRAM is the parameter RAM.

Hold down Command+Option+P+R keys right after you press the power button and keep them down and see if you hear a startup sound. If you do, keep the keys down until you hear at least one more startup sound then let go.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yes I have tried a PRAM, nothing happens there either. (I makes the same "boot up" sequense)

OP
T
Reaction score
Now I measured all the PSU outtakes - All showing the voltage they should (after this schematic Mods to Mirror Drive Door Power Supply)

Still have some unanswered questions:

Right next to the ram sockets, there is a little red light - should it light red normal? (on PC motherboards, red light is normal not good)

When I press the power button, it only lights for a few sec. (The button)
After 10-15 sec. ALL fans in the cabinet starts to run at max (very noisy) Is that normal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like you have a dud logic board.

OP
T
Reaction score
Got a new videocard - same problem.

I read a thread somewhere, that one had the same problem, and that was the CPU that was dead. (that why the fans start to go nuts.)

A "new" used CPU (dual 1.25) is a $90 payout. But if that dosen't work, I can always sell it with almost no loss.

I now got stubbornly and want to get it to work!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got a new videocard - same problem.

What video card did you get...was it a "genuine" Macintosh video card...or is it a "flashed" PC card?

$16 even for an older used Macintosh video card is pretty darn good (if it works)!;)

Thanks,

- Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
It's an "Apple" ATI 16mb PN 109-72700-02 ADC vga AGP. (The info I got from the seller)

The board is though IMO 99% a pure ATI.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Hate to tell you this but on most occasions one buys a machine sans HDD, memory etc, she is a goner and suitable for parts only.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.