Problem with New Ext HD (WD Elements 1tb)

Reaction score
I have a Mac Mini (Intel). Tried the Ext HDD fresh out of the box, the write status is Read Only. I had MacFuse installed then and I have another NTFS Ext HD but I just cant write in the new HD.

So what I did is I tried reformatting to Fat32 using my Windows machine, didnt work, still Read Only. Downloaded a program for Windows to format a drive to Mac OS Extended, HD is still locked. Partitioned it to 3 parts of Fat32 and NTFS, mounts but cant be written. In all tries, the Erase/Partition tabs in Disk Utility is still grayed out.

I tried re-installing my OS, reformatting my internal drive. Ext HDD is still read only.

I also tried putting codes in terminal (i googled) to modify the permissions like sudo chmod 775 /Volumes/Drive but it did not work either.

Last try is to use KillDisk and fully erased my drive from windows for 11hrs... guess what.. it didnt work either. I am really exhausted right now.. here's the screenshot :\ Notice all in Erase is grayed out. Same status as when I tried the other methods I mentioned. :\

a35xb46nids1fg68upe3.png

Can anyone help me here? :\

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Click the drive in the left pane, then go to the Partition tab and add a partition. Then choose the format and report back to let us know how it goes.

If you need it in NTFS (and I would recommend that over FAT32 for efficiency and flexibility sake), I would highly recommend Paragon's excellent NTFS for Mac.

Snow Leopard has hidden NTFS R/W support, but it's largely untested and requires some tweaks to get working. MacFUSE works, but is a little flakey for my taste. Paragon's is really the best and most comprehensive solution out there IMHO.

OP
I
Reaction score
Click the drive in the left pane, then go to the Partition tab and add a partition. Then choose the format and report back to let us know how it goes.

If you need it in NTFS (and I would recommend that over FAT32 for efficiency and flexibility sake), I would highly recommend Paragon's excellent NTFS for Mac.

Snow Leopard has hidden NTFS R/W support, but it's largely untested and requires some tweaks to get working. MacFUSE works, but is a little flakey for my taste. Paragon's is really the best and most comprehensive solution out there IMHO.
Hi... I already tried that part. Those fields are grayed either. I cant tell which file system but there are times that the partition tab features are not grayed out, but when I tried to partition it, i get an error message saying it cannot be partitioned as it's not readable then it goes back to grayed again.

Unfortunately, even if I use NTFS, and use MacFuse, the drive is still Read Only. My other External HD is working perfectly with Read/Write Status in my Mac using MacFuse.

Since I am trying to figure out since yesterday, but still no solution, I am returning this tomorrow. :\

Unless you have a solution I can do now ;D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you have a Windows machine you can try formatting with, using Disk Management?

It sounds like your MacFUSE/NTFS3G install is totally borked and causing issues with mounting. I think you'll probably have the same issue with a new drive. I would uninstall MacFUSE *and* NTFS3G. Note that the two products are separate and distinct.

OP
I
Reaction score
Do you have a Windows machine you can try formatting with, using Disk Management?

It sounds like your MacFUSE/NTFS3G install is totally borked and causing issues with mounting. I think you'll probably have the same issue with a new drive. I would uninstall MacFUSE *and* NTFS3G. Note that the two products are separate and distinct.
that's what im doing since Yesterday. I formatted the disc in my Windows machine using different partioners and erasers (KillHD, SwissKnife, MiniTool Partition) for Windows. But the disc is still locked in Mac no matter what file system I used.

It is mounting in my Mac. But the disc is set to locked so I cannot put files in it, nor format it, nor partition it even if the file system is Fat32 or Mac OS Extended. I compared it to my NTFS ext hd that I use for my mac (Maxtor) and my Maxtor has Read/Write status when I was still using MacFuse while my WD Elements is locked and "Read Only" Write Status. Bot Ext HDs are NTFS at that time.

I no longer have MacFuse since I reformatted my Mac and installed a fresh OS X that comes with the box. Then tried the methods I did again but to no avail. :\

What baffles me is that it works fine in my Windows machine. However, somehow, it is locked in Mac, not the partition, the whole Harddisk itself. It somehow locks itself whenever I put it in mac, and if I look at the light at the back of the HD, it blinks constantly when I put it in Mac. :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
At this point in time I wouldn't fool with it any longer. Call WD support and get a RMA or return it to where you purchased it from. WD generally makes good drives but there's always a chance that a defect slipped thru quality control.

OP
I
Reaction score
At this point in time I wouldn't fool with it any longer. Call WD support and get a RMA or return it to where you purchased it from. WD generally makes good drives but there's always a chance that a defect slipped thru quality control.

Ok so I went back to the store where I bought the WD Elements 1TB. I also brought my Mac Mini so they can test it and probably troubleshoot. It's obvious they dont know much about Mac but I let them do their thing anyway.

Then after several minutes, the guy who's assisting me tried to put a new WD Elements 1TB and try if it's working in my Mac. Guess what... it's also Read Only.

I told the guy that I am willing to pay more if their WD Elements 2TB will work on my Mac. So he tried it, Walla! It worked! With Read/Write Status! And he formatted it to Mac OS Extended to make sure. It's perfect! :D

So I ended up getting the 2TB (double the price of the 1TB :() and I am still not sure why their 1TBs are getting locked in my Mac.

I guess for anyone who reads this, buyer beware for WD Elements 1TB. It might not work in your Mac too. :Lips-Are-Sealed:

Thanks for the assistance btw. I am glad this forums is really helpful. ;D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We're happy to hear things worked out for you. I'm not sure either why the 1 TB didn't work but the 2 TB did? Anyway, have fun and return often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.