I want to go Mac...HELP!!!

Reaction score
Hi,

Kidd Cazio here, I'm an aspiring music producer and want a macbook to start my work on but unfortunately I can't afford the newer ones so I've been looking on the web for used machines. I've found two places, MacOfAllTrades and Macs4u, out of the two I really like Macs4u because unlike MacOfAllTrades, the computer comes with everything a mac is supposed to have (iLife, GargageBand, ect.) also free 4GB ram upgrade and OS 10.7 Lion.

The problem is, though I like the prices, they've answered my e-mails and my phone call, I'm still a little skeptical. They sell certified Pre-Owned macs and have been doing so for many years. In addition to their website I've checked out their facbook and twiiter and they seem legit but I wanted to ask some of you who've been using macs for years. I've alway used pc, I'm using one right now but I really want to make the switch.

I like this one

Apple MacBook 13" Laptop (2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, 160 GB, AppleCare) - Macs4U.com

Has anyone heard of or bought from Macs4u? If so, please do tell.

-Kidd Cazio.

C

chas_m

1. Amazon is selling that exact same model for $90 less (refurbished).

2. Are you SURE this will handle the music production software you wish to run? As a MacBook owner myself (but not a musician), I'm a bit skeptical. I think what you really want is a MacBook Pro, not a MacBook.

3. While I think MacOfAllTrades and Macs4U are both legitimate businesses (albeit pricey), really what you want to do is stick with Apple's refurbished section, since you get all the goodies it should come with AND a year warranty (extendable to three years at additional cost). You have to keep checking back as stock changes constantly, but you'll get the best value for money from Apple.

OP
K
Reaction score
1. Amazon is selling that exact same model for $90 less (refurbished).

2. Are you SURE this will handle the music production software you wish to run? As a MacBook owner myself (but not a musician), I'm a bit skeptical. I think what you really want is a MacBook Pro, not a MacBook.

3. While I think MacOfAllTrades and Macs4U are both legitimate businesses (albeit pricey), really what you want to do is stick with Apple's refurbished section, since you get all the goodies it should come with AND a year warranty (extendable to three years at additional cost). You have to keep checking back as stock changes constantly, but you'll get the best value for money from Apple.

Thank you, I looked Apple's refurbished section yesterday. I think it's the best choice as well.

Reaction score
Macbook will be fine for music production, it has all the hardware necessary for its production.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Hi,

Kidd Cazio here, I'm an aspiring music producer and want a macbook to start my work on but unfortunately I can't afford the newer ones so I've been looking on the web for used machines. I've found two places, MacOfAllTrades and Macs4u, out of the two I really like Macs4u because unlike MacOfAllTrades, the computer comes with everything a mac is supposed to have (iLife, GargageBand, ect.) also free 4GB ram upgrade and OS 10.7 Lion.

The problem is, though I like the prices, they've answered my e-mails and my phone call, I'm still a little skeptical. They sell certified Pre-Owned macs and have been doing so for many years. In addition to their website I've checked out their facbook and twiiter and they seem legit but I wanted to ask some of you who've been using macs for years. I've alway used pc, I'm using one right now but I really want to make the switch.

I like this one

Apple MacBook 13" Laptop (2.13 GHz, 4GB RAM, 160 GB, AppleCare) - Macs4U.com

Has anyone heard of or bought from Macs4u? If so, please do tell.

-Kidd Cazio.

yeah I have an early 2011 13 inch macbook pro i5 processor and i upgraded the ram to 8gb. Mine runs really smoothly but I have had to take it in for a replacement key cap and also a fan problem. I love my mac but i just hate the prices.

OP
K
Reaction score
yeah I have an early 2011 13 inch macbook pro i5 processor and i upgraded the ram to 8gb. Mine runs really smoothly but I have had to take it in for a replacement key cap and also a fan problem. I love my mac but i just hate the prices.

Thank you for the reply, one more question, are macs expensive to repair. If or when the machines cause problems, is the customer service friendly and prompt to take care of the issues?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2011 13 inch MacBook Pro i5 with 8gb of Ram
Thank you for the reply, one more question, are macs expensive to repair. If or when the machines cause problems, is the customer service friendly and prompt to take care of the issues?

If your Mac is still under warranty then everything is completely free to fix. As for friendliness, the Apple Genius bar at your local Apple store is extremely friendly and they will replace anything that seems the slightest bit wrong. If your Mac is not under warranty then it can be a little expensive. To replace a 13inch macbook pro fan it's 60 dollars total. That's not too bad but depending on what is wrong with the machine the prices can be little or large.

C

chas_m

By "everything," macuser1232 means any hardware defects in the actual computer during the warranty period (which is a year, can optionally be extended an additional two years for a total of three). Abuse is not covered (ie dropping, pouring liquids into it, etc) of course, nor is theft, nor data loss.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.