Macbook Taking Forever To Start :(

Reaction score
Ok, I have had this for less than a month. I installed Microsoft Office and a couple other apps within that time and it has been working like a champ. HOWEVER, recently out of nowhere it has been taking like 3-5 minutes to boot up when I turn it on. I try not to shut it down anymore, I only put it to sleep when I don't take it with me. Is this a problem anyone has dealt with before or am I screwed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
mine started out slow, I remember the first week the boot time was around 4 minutes... I don't know if it was just use or the 10.5.2 upgrade but after two or so month it got to booting under a minute

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
How much free space do you have in your HDD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Then it's definitely not a storage problem lol. Did you download and install the latest upgrades for it? Like the Mac OSX 10.5.5 and stuff? Maybe it's a software problem, we're not sure.

OP
BARACK ODRAMA
Reaction score
Yup, installed the updates already. My buddy knows a lot about macs and reminded me, but it didn't help too much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo 2 GB RAM
Yup, installed the updates already. My buddy knows a lot about macs and reminded me, but it didn't help too much.

Have you tried "repair permissions" in disk utility after you installed the updates?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If that doesn't work, you can always rely on formatting your HDD and reinstalling Macintosh OSX from the CDs that came with your computer. Maybe that would help? Back up everything before you do so though.

Reaction score
Hello Barack ODrama.

I've had the same problem with mine once, if you have the lastest upgrade for it, it shoul'dnt be a problem, atleast that fixed my problem for the first time.

- I've had it to start up in 1 minute in some week's but then recently it started to get slowly again, and i have the lastest update's so if an update wont help, i guess i would have to look over this thread aswell, cause i have the same problem.

I also installed a Note(s) on mine, cause i'd had use to manage all my mails etc. do you have notes installed? .. if so, please tell.

but it's diffrently not a strange problem, cause i have some friends wich have it aswell :).

Other then you can use the HDD and reinstall the Macintosh OSX, as Tarek say's the one that came together with your comeputer, and yes remember to back everything up, so you won't loose it before you reinstall anything.

Good luck with fixing it, hope you get it sorted out.

Greetings Ashiz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" Hi-Def/2GB RAM/250GB HD // iPhone 3Gs 16GB // iPod Classic 80GB
Another idea: get Onyx and run all the maintenance scripts.

My brother's iMac would be insanely slow to start up, and running all the scripts (daily, weekly and monthly) would fix it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM MacBook, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
It's all about the software updates.

Also, this is kind of a makeshift solution but I find that if you press a key during startup it delays it and takes a longer time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.