Which Plug-in Package to get for Aperture or LR

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Background:

I currently use Aperture 3.0 as my DAM, but am in process of migrating to LR 4.
Photoshop Elements (10) is my External Editor, and I have the free version of Perfect Effects, though I haven't used it.

I also downloaded the LR 5 Beta last night to play with.

PP is an area I am slowly moving into, so far I use it mainly to fix spots and blemishes, and clean up of scanned images. Have played a bit with removing unwanted objects, but not a lot.

After reading numerous articles, I am planning on picking up a plug-in package, main reason the noise reduction and sharpening modules. Which leads to my basic question, which one to get?

1) Ononesoftware Perfect Photo Suite
2) Nik Collection
3) Topaz Labs
4) Other

Reccomendations or comments?

EDIT: In case some one asks, the reason for my move to LR is my Workflow is basically non-existence and my libraries are a mess. After looking at LR for some time I think it will help

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nobody has a favorite regarding plug-ins? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
FWIW my ex is a Pro Photographer and uses LR and she uses Topaz Lab Plug-ins and swears by them.
Sorry haven't anymore than that as I'm not behind the lens and not sure exactly how/what she means, but i just asked her and that is what she is happy with :)

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
FWIW my ex is a Pro Photographer and uses LR and she uses Topaz Lab Plug-ins and swears by them.
Sorry haven't anymore than that as I'm not behind the lens and not sure exactly how/what she means, but i just asked her and that is what she is happy with :)

Thanks for the reccomend, Brent.

Topaz, last I checked, was the most expensive. Will give it another look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Not a fan of Topaz, as it's too easy to be heavy handed with it and achieve non-realistic results. In case you hadn't noticed, LR 4 has an incredible noise removal algorithm, and it also has a brush tool which can be used for selective noise removal, amongst other things.

The two most used plugins I use are Nik's full suite (now owned and operated by Google, and the full suite is now only $150 which is amazing) and Alien Skin Exposure. I only use Nik for Black and White conversions and Alien Skin for mostly the same, but on occasion I'll use it for color fades/conversions.

As for sharpening, unless it's for print work.. everything gets done in LR. To be honest, I'm sure that LR would be good for print work as well. You just have to understand how to set the parameters. If you want to know more about this.. let me know.

I only use Elements to stitch panoramas these days, though it's still better at cloning than the LR 5 beta.

Doug

Edit: 3,333!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
I am a big fan of Nik Software. the entire collection is now available for $149.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Doug and Docx.

I have been tempted to pop for the Nik plug-ins because of the price. Spent some time on the Topaz site and was amazed by the examples they have posted, but wondered if there was a catch there.

The de-noise built into LR, is it automatic, or accessed by pulldown? Have to admit I tend not to read the manuals and documentation (not a good habit). I have a book on LR Workflow that I ought to read, but a lot of it is based on LR 2.

EDIT: Found it, in the Detail Panel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
You might want to check out this video tutorial on LR 4 which was done at a seminar hosted at B&H Photo. I go to these seminars whenever I get the chance, as they are hosted by pro photogs. I haven't watched this one fully, but thus far find his methodology to be excellent.

The Ultimate Lightroom 4 Experience - YouTube

Doug

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You might want to check out this video tutorial on LR 4 which was done at a seminar hosted at B&H Photo. I go to these seminars whenever I get the chance, as they are hosted by pro photogs. I haven't watched this one fully, but thus far find his methodology to be excellent.

The Ultimate Lightroom 4 Experience - YouTube

Doug

Thanks. Will give it a look.

BTW on the plug-ins, I downloaded and tried them all and surprisingly decided I prefer Perfect Photo Suite.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks. Will give it a look.

BTW on the plug-ins, I downloaded and tried them all and surprisingly decided I prefer Perfect Photo Suite.

Not thinking $ here, what was preferable to you about PPS ??

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
These plugins look neat. The only one I have ever used where from Alien Skin and that was like year ago.

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not thinking $ here, what was preferable to you about PPS ??
Not big on reading manuals. Looking at the examples of what Topaz and Nik can do I was impressed, but wasn't able to replicate the results on my own.

Perfect Photo Suite was a lot easier for me to figure out. At $99 right now for the Lightroom/Aperture version, it may not have the power of the other two, but I figure that as I learn, if it doesn't meet my needs I can pop for the Topaz pack ($300) then.

Perfect Photo also doesn't have a de-noise module, but I figure I can pick that up separately if needed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just gone out and dropped $85 down for Aperture and now looking at some plugins and ive been in a email conversation with the ex Nik Software bloke Kevin La Rue who is now working for the Macphun Team with there ColorStrokes, FX PhotoStudio Pro and Snapheal Pro and others, and he says that without a doubt NIK Software Plugins for Aperture are the best out there.

Well i have got about 20 tabs open now in Safari, trying to find coupons and reading reviews on all the Plugins for PS, Aperture and LR.
Mike after some time, what do you think of the Perfect Photo Suite 7/7.5 ?? It seems i can get it for $129 and NIK is the same with a coupon, and the only Topaz one im looking at is De-Noise, so im just wanting a quick review, some Before/After shots with Perfect Photo Suite . . .
Whats the word, is it good at what it does, are you happy with it ?? Would you have gone elsewhere now in hindsight ?? Truths please lol

OP
RavingMac

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have just gone out and dropped $85 down for Aperture and now looking at some plugins and ive been in a email conversation with the ex Nik Software bloke Kevin La Rue who is now working for the Macphun Team with there ColorStrokes, FX PhotoStudio Pro and Snapheal Pro and others, and he says that without a doubt NIK Software Plugins for Aperture are the best out there.

Well i have got about 20 tabs open now in Safari, trying to find coupons and reading reviews on all the Plugins for PS, Aperture and LR.
Mike after some time, what do you think of the Perfect Photo Suite 7/7.5 ?? It seems i can get it for $129 and NIK is the same with a coupon, and the only Topaz one im looking at is De-Noise, so im just wanting a quick review, some Before/After shots with Perfect Photo Suite . . .
Whats the word, is it good at what it does, are you happy with it ?? Would you have gone elsewhere now in hindsight ?? Truths please lol

Not sure I know how to answer.

There is a vs 8 of Perfect Photo Suite coming out BTW. The advantage of Perfect Photo is that it is easy, mainly a bunch of presets you can apply to your pics.
I haven't played with it much, mainly because I've been distracted by my 60th Birthday present (Nikon V2) and Photoshop CS6.

But, since you asked, here is my reccomendation, and it really depends on the type of person you are (and I believe I have a good idea about you):

1) If you are interested in quick and easy results without having to invest a lot of time learning the package, Perfect Photo Suite
2) If you are more concerned in getting the most out of your pics, and are willing to take the time (believe this is you), then Nik or Topaz is probably a better choice

Hope any this is helpful

C

chas_m

I think very highly of OnOne's stuff.

Nik I used to love until Google got it. I still use SnapSeed a lot but was REALLY mad when they killed it off for Mac. For the moment the former Nik stuff is still good, but to be blunt photography isn't really part of Google's business model and I expect the Nik stuff will die a slow death in their hands. Hope I'm wrong.

Topaz: over-priced and not so much better than the others as to justify that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1) If you are interested in quick and easy results without having to invest a lot of time learning the package, Perfect Photo Suite
2) If you are more concerned in getting the most out of your pics, and are willing to take the time (believe this is you), then Nik or Topaz is probably a better choice

Hope any this is helpful

Yea mate you did get it right, and i ended up going the NIK way, as i got the whole suite for $126.65, but i do appreciate you trying to answer the best you could ;)

I think very highly of OnOne's stuff.

Nik I used to love until Google got it. I still use SnapSeed a lot but was REALLY mad when they killed it off for Mac. For the moment the former Nik stuff is still good, but to be blunt photography isn't really part of Google's business model and I expect the Nik stuff will die a slow death in their hands. Hope I'm wrong.

I got onOnes Free set of Presets, but yea I'm not going to spend any money there. As i said, i have been in a good chat with Kevin La Rue former NIK now MacPhun, and with out being bias he gave me a good overview of the NIK over other companies, i suppose i will see how i go for now. Thanks Chas

C

chas_m

The MacPhun stuff is very nice on a consumer level, I enjoy SnapHeal Pro very much for photos that need that sort of retouching. To my surprise it works with RAW files as well.

If you went with NIK stuff you did well for yourself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The MacPhun stuff is very nice on a consumer level, I enjoy SnapHeal Pro very much for photos that need that sort of retouching. To my surprise it works with RAW files as well.

If you went with NIK stuff you did well for yourself.

Yea it is good and very simple to use as well. The reason i was chatting with Kevin was trying to squeeze a license out of him, and 'by George' i got it, but i think it was the love of home made/launching Rockets that gave me the edge lol

But as you said before, that "Google" thing does worry me as well a little, but i got it now so i'm happy . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.