Macbook keeps switching off

Reaction score
I have a 13 inch macbook white that i bought in January 2010. Recently its starting to randomly switch itself off when running on the battery. This was initially when the battery was at about 20%, but now its happening at close to 70%. It won't switch back on until its plugged in, so I know its not because of the CPU over-heating. Its almost as if it thinks the battery has been depleted.

Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Download the free "coconutBattery" application and let's see what it says about the condition of your battery. Here's the download LINK

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a 13 inch macbook white that i bought in January 2010. Recently its starting to randomly switch itself off when running on the battery. This was initially when the battery was at about 20%, but now its happening at close to 70%. It won't switch back on until its plugged in, so I know its not because of the CPU over-heating. Its almost as if it thinks the battery has been depleted.

Can anyone help?

Battery percentages don't really mean a whole lot without knowing the condition of the battery. When a battery is brand new...70% could mean 3 hours of runtime remaining. When a battery is "old" (has lots of charge/discharge cycles on it)...70% could mean 20 minutes.

As "chscag" suggested...download "Coconut Battery"...and see what sort of condition your battery is in.

- Nick

OP
H
Reaction score
ScreenShot2012-02-09at202550.png

I'm not convinced it is the battery. When I switch it back on, its like i shut it down properly, I have to log back in and everything. Its completely different from when it restarts after shutting down from a depleted battery.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your battery is certainly not healthy according to the info you provided. It's currently down to 58% of its capacity and has 272 cycles on it. That particular battery is supposed to get around 300 cycles of use. The non removable batteries are supposed to get 1000 cycles. (MBP models)

If your MacBook is covered by Apple care, take it on in and see if Apple will replace the battery for free. If not covered by Apple care, you can decide whether or not to replace the battery.

OP
H
Reaction score
You may be right about the battery - earlier today it was down to 35% capacity before going back up to 56%. We'll see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks for your help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.