Should I buy the 2011 MacBook Pro 13"?

Reaction score
Ok so I am a newly registered member just recently thinking about buying a MacBook Pro. I love MacBooks, always have enjoyed Apple products such as my iPhone, etc, but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion :)

As far as the temps go...it doesn't really matter if you go with a 2010 or 2011...they're both going to be hot...and with the heat comes fan noise. They start to get hot when you are watching internet videos or gaming. It shouldn't get hot when you're just browsing internet forums, reading online newspapers (unless there's video), or various internet shopping sites (Craig's List, e-Bay, Apple.com, etc.).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
As far as the temps go...it doesn't really matter if you go with a 2010 or 2011...they're both going to be hot...and with the heat comes fan noise. They start to get hot when you are watching internet videos or gaming. It shouldn't get hot when you're just browsing internet forums, reading online newspapers (unless there's video), or various internet shopping sites (Craig's List, e-Bay, Apple.com, etc.).

HTH,

- Nick

Thanks for the info, typically I don't really mind if they get too hot, I'm on an HP laptop right now, some 2011 model and it gets hot for the same reasons, doesn't really bother me but I've also heard of the MacBooks crashing from time to time, and I also just really want to know if it is a general good buy?

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Ok so I am a newly registered member just recently thinking about buying a MacBook Pro. I love MacBooks, always have enjoyed Apple products such as my iPhone, etc, but recently I've been looking around and noticing that a lot of people are saying that their 2011 MacBook Pros are becoming incredibly warm and noisy when doing mundane tasks such as browsing the web. So my question is, is it really that big of an annoyance? Should I still buy the 2011 version, or should I go with an older version such as the 2010? Please respond ASAP with your opinion :)

"They" said the same thing about the 2010 version. I think I can state with confidence that there are more satisfied buyers than not. :)

I'd be interested in a link to those 'reports' you mention - as I don't recall seeing anything like that - and I've spent quite a bit of time reading about Mac related news since I made the switch in January.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but I've also heard of the MacBooks crashing from time to time, and I also just really want to know if it is a general good buy?

All computers "crash" from time to time. But that being said...in my experience MacBooks don't crash very often.

As far as the "good buy" question. You probably need to define this further...since Apple is the only manufacturer of Macintosh computers...and Apple STRICTLY controls pricing regardless of who sells them.

It's not like buying a Windows computer where you can choose from multiple manufacturers (Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc.)...and ask...is one manufacturers computer a good/better buy than the other brands.

If you want a Macintosh computer & use Mac OS X...you have to buy from Apple. So buying an Apple computer is always a good buy (or a bad buy)...since Apple is the only manufacturer.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
All computers "crash" from time to time. But that being said...in my experience MacBooks don't crash very often.

As far as the "good buy" question. You probably need to define this further...since Apple is the only manufacturer of Macintosh computers...and Apple STRICTLY controls pricing regardless of who sells them.

It's not like buying a Windows computer where you can choose from multiple manufacturers (Dell, Toshiba, HP, etc.)...and ask...is one manufacturers computer a good/better buy than the other brands.

If you want a Macintosh computer & use Mac OS X...you have to buy from Apple. So buying an Apple computer is always a good buy (or a bad buy)...since Apple is the only manufacturer.

- Nick

I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it. For me to be satisfied what I'm looking for is a sleek, portable, long lasting laptop that I can use throughout the day and it'll continue to work fast and efficiently

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it. For me to be satisfied what I'm looking for is a sleek, portable, long lasting laptop that I can use throughout the day and it'll continue to work fast and efficiently

Maybe I haven't had enough coffee yet this morning I'm not sure how anyone but you can answer that for yourself. For whatever it's worth - I have the 15" 2011 and I find it to be exactly that. Only you can define satisfaction by whatever measure you decide to set. Go play with one at an Apple store and see what you think. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm just wondering if I'm going to be satisfied with a MacBook Pro 2011 13'' if I buy it.

No one can answer this but you!!!;)

But in reality...are you going to be happy/satisfied using Mac OS X? If so...then the MacBook will be fine. If not...then you won't be satisfied.

For you (which sounds like you've never owned a Macintosh computer before)...it's really more about being satisfied with the OS than the hardware.

- Nick

Reaction score
hi there.im also new in mac.just bought macbook pro 13'' last week.for your information,im very happy with my new machine.got no problem like pc,no hassle.im using pc for the last 15 years and had no regrets for switching to mac.i bought mbp for use in college btw.
but its your decision.its your money :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
hi,

Bought a 2011 13 inch last week and love it. I think you will be very satisfied once you get used to the differences between windows and OS X. Lets face it, MacBook Pros are the Rolls Royces of laptops.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.