• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Quicktime update to 7.5 and now to audio

Reaction score
Quicktime update to 7.5 and now no .avi audio

I am kinda irritated - I updated my system and in turn my quicktime pro was updated to 7.5 - and then right after I had no audio in any .avi files - Now I have googled the problem and I have found that Perian fixes the problem for some people - also some people change that thing to 4400hz or whatever but that did not work -

Does anybody know if Apple is going to fix this ? I mean an update should not make something break - if it doesnt get fixed I will just go back to 7.4 - but I feel I should not have to do that - you know?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Are you saying you have no Audio?

What computer and OS you running?

OP
X
Reaction score
Are you saying you have no Audio?

What computer and OS you running?

Sorry take a quick look at the post one more time I edited it because I messed it up -

I have a 2.4 GHz Intel Core Duo Macbook pro with Leopord 10.5.3 -

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just tried it here with Quicktime 7,5 and the few AVI's that I have play with audio. I have always used Perian though as it's needed for some video formats and always has been. Will check my other Macs and see what happens.

I just tried it on my Intel Mini and same thing. All AVI's are playing back with both Audio and Video.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2GHtz, 2Gb RAM, 320Gb HDD. 16Gb iPT Jailbroken.
I had the problem also, i installed Perian and now i get audio but no video.

The video files that work are Xvid encoded but the one's that don't are H264 encoded.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
i lost audio on all flv video clips too..........

anybody know how to go back to the previous version of quicktime????

i already had perian, redownloaded and installed to no avail.....

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i lost audio on all flv video clips too..........

anybody know how to go back to the previous version of quicktime????

i already had perian, redownloaded and installed to no avail.....

Interesting. 7.4.1 broke Video for me with FLV's that were converted with iSquint. Turns out it was an iSquint issue which they fixed. I have never had audio problems though and 7.5 here plays all my FLV videos with fine audio. Something else is going on.

Which Mac are you running? Which version of OSX?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook 2.0 core duo white
Interesting. 7.4.1 broke Video for me with FLV's that were converted with iSquint. Turns out it was an iSquint issue which they fixed. I have never had audio problems though and 7.5 here plays all my FLV videos with fine audio. Something else is going on.

Which Mac are you running? Which version of OSX?

macbook 2 GHz core Duo, Leopard 10.5.3

flv's downloaded from youtube.

i may have been a couple of versions behind when i updated but I think only 1.... FLV's had audio up until the update, now nothing. VLC plays just fine, i just dont care for it...

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the tip on installing Perian. The QuickTime 7.5 update broke the audio playback on my FLV files too. Installing Perian brought it back (although I had to uninstall the Xvid codec first). Thanks! :D

PowerBook G4, 1.67 GHz, 2GB RAM.

Reaction score
S.o.s -

Can someone please help... I was so happy to see this thread, well sort of... And I couldn't agree more with the initial poster- How are you going to send out a Quicktime update and have us end up with things broken - THAT APLLE IS CLEARLY DOING NOTHING ABOUT! And since researching tis issue now - this has obviously been a problem occurring for a few years!

Anyway - sorry, I'm totally annoyed - my video sound has gone quiet since I did a quicktime update - I tried the download from Perian (i think anyway - all I did was the download - not sure if I'm supposed to do anything with it after, but nothing was fixed... I also checked my audio midi output section which is typically the other answer to this problem... Again, nothing has brought back audio to my computer when i play certain videos... This is ridiculous

Any help would be so much appreciated. I hate Apple right now.

I have a Mac OS X 10.4.11 Powerbook G4 Processor: 1.25 GHz Power PC
1 GB Ram

Thank you -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.