question about booting from USB drive...

Reaction score
so I made an install disk on my USB drive, everything went smooth..

the usb is connected to my macbook and it didnt go into kernel panic this time because i selected to boot up form USB drive.. BUT it is stuck on the grey apple screen with the spinning wheel and has been for about 15 minutes.. it sounds like is thinking though.. is this normal with booting a mac from a USB drive???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
so I made an install disk on my USB drive, everything went smooth..

the usb is connected to my macbook and it didnt go into kernel panic this time because i selected to boot up form USB drive.. BUT it is stuck on the grey apple screen with the spinning wheel and has been for about 15 minutes.. it sounds like is thinking though.. is this normal with booting a mac from a USB drive???

No, it shouldn't take 15 minutes to boot from a USB drive unless it has some serious issues. Is this a USB hard drive or flash drive? And by "install disk", what do you mean by that, and how exactly did you make it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.