Linux on iMac G3?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Okay, so here's the deal. As most of the regulars know around here by now I bought an iMac G3 Blueberry slot load. And it came with OS 9.2 installed on it. Now I'm trying to sell this computer but so far no luck. The computer's OS just really seems too old to do Modern anything! So I searched google.. and I found that Linux is download-able for free? Also there's a PowerPC Mac version? I'm kinda clueless here. But I would like to install Linux, and keep Mac OS on there too... Can this be done? I know of people having Windows and OS X on their Macs... But I've never seen Linux and OS 9 on am iMac G3 Before. Help? O:)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an old Grape Tray Load 333Mhz G3 iMac. I ran a linux distro on it off a CD just to mess with it. Worked great. It's been so long now I can't remember the name and version of the distro but I swear it was an old Power PC version of Ubuntu.

I will see what I can find and get back to you. This was a Live CD. That way you ran it off the CD and if you liked it, you installed. Everything worked on the iMac also. I did an Mac Forums IRC session with it in fact!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Were's Vansmith...Mr. Linux???;)

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an old Grape Tray Load 333Mhz G3 iMac. I ran a linux distro on it off a CD just to mess with it. Worked great. It's been so long now I can't remember the name and version of the distro but I swear it was an old Power PC version of Ubuntu.

I will see what I can find and get back to you. This was a Live CD. That way you ran it off the CD and if you liked it, you installed. Everything worked on the iMac also. I did an Mac Forums IRC session with it in fact!

Well it's good to know that's it's possible at least! Now I just have to find a download-able version. And figure out how to get it installed! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Okay, so here's the deal. As most of the regulars know around here by now I bought an iMac G3 Blueberry slot load. And it came with OS 9.2 installed on it. Now I'm trying to sell this computer but so far no luck.

That's because you're trying to sell an iMac G3 that's close to 10 years old. It's not the OS version that's on it...it's the age..and the fact that it's only worth $10-$20 bucks (to most knowledgeable people). I'm not knocking the computer or it's age, or the OS on it...it's just an old computer...and thus hard to sell.

As far as the Linux question. Are you going to keep this computer if you put Linux on it...or are you still selling it?

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's because you're trying to sell an iMac G3 that's close to 10 years old. It's not the OS version that's on it...it's the age..and the fact that it's only worth $10-$20 bucks (to most knowledgeable people). I'm not knocking the computer or it's age, or the OS on it...it's just an old computer...and thus hard to sell.

As far as the Linux question. Are you going to keep this computer if you put Linux on it...or are you still selling it?

- Nick

Depends. I might keep it, but probably not. It depends on how well linux runs, or if I like Linux. (Never, ever used it before) I'm just looking to get a semi modern OS on there. Then it can be used for light web browsing and stuff. Plus OS 9 + Linux seems pretty Cool. OS 9 can be used for nostalgia applications, and games, while Linux would run all of the modern applications.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Depends. I might keep it, but probably not. It depends on how well linux runs, or if I like Linux. (Never, ever used it before) I'm just looking to get a semi modern OS on there. Then it can be used for light web browsing and stuff. Plus OS 9 + Linux seems pretty Cool. OS 9 can be used for nostalgia applications, and games, while Linux would run all of the modern applications.

You need to get yourself some OS X install disks. 10.3 probably the best choice...but 10.4 is doable as well (I run 10.4 on my G3 iMacs). Sure 10.4 is expensive...that's why 10.3 is a better choice (cost & performance).

Once you have the hardware...having the proper software is what really makes or breaks the computing experience.:) In fact sometimes having the proper software is more important. Kind of like having an automobile...but no gasoline!;)

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You need to get yourself some OS X install disks. 10.3 probably the best choice...but 10.4 is doable as well (I run 10.4 on my G3 iMacs). Sure 10.4 is expensive...that's why 10.3 is a better choice (cost & performance).

Once you have the hardware...having the proper software is what really makes or breaks the computing experience.:) In fact sometimes having the proper software is more important. Kind of like having an automobile...but no gasoline!;)

- Nick

And I'd get install disks where? :\

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HELLO...e-Bay.:)

Or if you're lucky Craig's List.

- Nick

Ebay? I've looked at it, but to be honest I don't have the slightest idea how it works.... You need PayPal or a Credit card or something don't you?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.... You need PayPal or a Credit card or something don't you?

Not necessarily. It helps to have a Paypal account...but some sellers will accept payment with money orders, checks, etc....but then:

- the transaction takes a lot longer
- the seller won't ship until your check clears
- and there's always the risk that you send payment to a seller, and they don't ship you anything

Sounds like you need to learn a lot more about e-Bay. For someone who says they want to buy/sell used computers...not knowing about how e-Bay works or not having an e-Bay account...is a BIG disadvantage.:(

- Nick

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not necessarily. It helps to have a Paypal account...but some sellers will accept payment with money orders, checks, etc....but then:

- the transaction takes a lot longer
- the seller won't ship until your check clears
- and there's always the risk that you send payment to a seller, and they don't ship you anything

Sounds like you need to learn a lot more about e-Bay. For someone who says they want to buy/sell used computers...not knowing about how e-Bay works or not having an e-Bay account...is a BIG disadvantage.:(

- Nick

So does not having a car, not being able to sell anything, Not having an ebay account.... -_- I'm gonna go strap it to my bicycle and go door-to-door asking people if they wanna buy it. :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So does not having a car, not being able to sell anything, Not having an ebay account.... -_- I'm gonna go strap it to my bicycle and go door-to-door asking people if they wanna buy it. :D

"A man's got to know his limitations."

...Dirty Harry

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup. Anyway back on topic does anybody know if I can install Linux on here? Hmmm?

Reaction score
You can get that machine all messed up if you install Linux...so be carefully. You have to create a partition for Linux that Linux must format. If you remove the Mac OS you lose the firmware and putting it back is an issue. You have to use a PPC version of Linux not a windows one. We have not told you yet about installing OSX as the firmware must be updated to boot rom 4.19 before you can install OSX. If you want Classic you have to start with OS9.2.2. do the firmware update then install OSX up to 10.3.

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can get that machine all messed up if you install Linux...so be carefully. You have to create a partition for Linux that Linux must format. If you remove the Mac OS you lose the firmware and putting it back is an issue. You have to use a PPC version of Linux not a windows one. We have not told you yet about installing OSX as the firmware must be updated to boot rom 4.19 before you can install OSX. If you want Classic you have to start with OS9.2.2. do the firmware update then install OSX up to 10.3.

Aren't you safe with the firmware if you go no higher then 10.2? Anyway I don't wanna just install Linux, I wanna keep both OS's on there, is there any SIMPLE way that this is possible? Or is this more trouble than it's worth? :(

Reaction score
Aren't you safe with the firmware if you go no higher then 10.2? Anyway I don't wanna just install Linux, I wanna keep both OS's on there, is there any SIMPLE way that this is possible? Or is this more trouble than it's worth? :(

If that iMac has never had OSX on it ..you have to install a firmware update first before you install OSX. In order to dual boot with OSX you have to have on the machine OS9.2.2. The firmware update is to keep from burning up the video chip as it was not Unix compatible when the iMac was made. 10.3 is really as high as it will go because of the CPU size and pipeline. Theres really no gain on doing this point increase thing on theses old machines. My slot load has 10.2 and runs just fine.;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Were's Vansmith...Mr. Linux???;)

- Nick
I'm here - just took me some time to see the thread. ;)

To the OP: What are the specs of your machine? If they are considerably "low", you're going to be limited in your options. Combine that with the trend of distro makers moving away from PPC support and you're going to have to look hard for a good solution. I say this because it really looks like the Intel transition has really put a dent in PPC support for Linux distributions.

DistroWatch maintains a fairly comprehensive list of distros. If you look at their "Page Hit Ranking", you should get a good list of Linux distributions. I would suggest something but I really need to know the specs of your machine before I do that.

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify my previous statements. Distribution makers seem to have dropped PPC support in the newer version of their respective distribution but older versions still support the PPC architecture.

Reaction score
Mr. Linux is back...thank you..thank you. Help the OP before he gets in to deep trouble.:eek:

OP
MacDude121
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm here - just took me some time to see the thread. ;)

To the OP: What are the specs of your machine? If they are considerably "low", you're going to be limited in your options. Combine that with the trend of distro makers moving away from PPC support and you're going to have to look hard for a good solution. I say this because it really looks like the Intel transition has really put a dent in PPC support for Linux distributions.

DistroWatch maintains a fairly comprehensive list of distros. If you look at their "Page Hit Ranking", you should get a good list of Linux distributions. I would suggest something but I really need to know the specs of your machine before I do that.

EDIT: Perhaps I should clarify my previous statements. Distribution makers seem to have dropped PPC support in the newer version of their respective distribution but older versions still support the PPC architecture.

It's a Blueberry iMac G3 with a 350 MHz Processor, 192 MB of Ram, and 6 GB HD. As you can imagine I'm looking for a light operating system, really just something more modern, that isn't going to be more trouble than it's worth to install.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.