White Macbook non unibody

Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a white mac book non unibody brand new because they were on sale for 699.99. My question is if yellowing and cracking hinges still are an occurring problem in the more recent production models or have these problems been fixed. i tried searching but all the information i found pertained to the problem when it first came out, and being new to the mac world myself i don't want to give out bad information. thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
It's slightly better in the newer models, but on occasion when there is a cracking problem, Apple are very good in looking after it.
As for the yellowing, I have a late 07 MB, and any discoloration which there may me is unnoticeable. Just need to practice cleaning the keyboard and surrounds with a damp (NOT WET) cloth dipped in mild detergent, or using baby wipes, etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Wouldnt worry about it mate as i have the 2008 model and im a grub and ruff around the edges and im still happy with mine.
Hinge is as strong as the day i bought it and as with my friend says above need to learn how to clean it more often :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
There you go ......if you can't trust a self confessed grub who's rough around the edges, who can you trust? :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
There you go ......if you can't trust a self confessed grub who's rough around the edges, who can you trust? :p

ohh you talking bout me ? (looks around) you talking bout me ?? You must be talking bout me as i cant see anyone else around .... ;P

Reaction score
A friend of mine just bought a white mac book non unibody brand new because they were on sale for 699.99. My question is if yellowing and cracking hinges still are an occurring problem in the more recent production models or have these problems been fixed. i tried searching but all the information i found pertained to the problem when it first came out, and being new to the mac world myself i don't want to give out bad information. thanks in advance.

I have one from 2007, and the cracking is a very, very, very serious issue. I recently managed to get my top cover replaced for free by Apple, but also after a lot of bargaining and reasoning with them. I have cracks everywhere - from the bottom case to the bezel itself, and I have never dropped it before. There are serious design flaws associated with this model of Macbook, I must say, and I don't think they have been resolved.

The yellowing isn't that big a problem because I have a clear plastic protector on the palm rest area, and I clean my keyboard pretty often. At such, it isn't too difficult to clean it yourself. I find that a soft eraser does the job very well for the most part. If you want it to be cleaner than that, use a damp cloth.

If you really like the white design, I'd say fork out a bit more money and get the Unibody design out there. I'm not sure of the durability of that one, but it sure looks a lot more sturdy than what I have now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.