Previous System issue with Archive and Install

Reaction score
Hey guys, just recently bumped into a few problems with my macbook when thinking of booting xp using bootcamp, i have successfully done it before but assumed it didnt work because it wouldnt connect to the internet.

But thats for another time.

Ill get straight to the point or else ill just blabber on :O.

Hope someone would take the time to read this and help, i would really appreciate it, i know its long but please take some time to help me with this.

Short question:

I feel stupid asking this because as far as i know if i delete the previous system folders the applications and programs i try and use wont work because i downloaded them and installed them on those previous systems.

But what i wanted to know is that if i would delete the previous system folders that i get from using archive and install would that prevent me from using certain applications that i downloaded and installed on those systems? or would those files have been copied to the system im using now and the files in the previous system folders aren't being used to run any applications, programs or the actual operating system?

In other words, the files in the previous system folders are just files that i can access when i choose like any other file, and aren't being automatically used to run certain programs

Thats basically it.

Now i have used archive and install so many times that its soaking up my hard drive space with files and i dont know what i can and cant delete besides my personal files, but about half the hard drive is taken up with system files which i have no idea if i can delete or not.

I only have the 2.2Ghz model of last year with a 120GB HD, i upgraded to 4 GB of RAM but the hard drive is now holding me back due to lack of space.

I just read what i wrote and it doesnt seem well written and you might get confused quite a bit, but to put it simply.

Can i delete my previous system folders without effecting any of the applications, passwords (from the keychain saved file), documents, videos or music etc im currently using on my current system?

Hope someone would take the time to read this and help, i would really appreciate it.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Once you are comfortable with the new environment, you can delete the Previous Systems folder. All of the download application should have been copied over into your new environment.

OP
N
Reaction score
Once you are comfortable with the new environment, you can delete the Previous Systems folder. All of the download application should have been copied over into your new environment.

Ah thanks it worked, i now have over 60GB of extra free space :D

Time to boot xp using bootcamp :D

Thanks again!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.