Help with setting default programs

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have two versions of the same program running on my mac mini. I use one of these versions much more frequently than the other one. However, the one that I use less frequently is set as my default program so when I click to open saved files, the version of the program that i do not wish to open automatically opens. To counteract this, I have to right click on the file and choose 'open with' and then select the version of the program i use more frequently. Does anyone know how to change default settings for programs so that i don't have to go through this tedious process everytime!

Thanks, i hope you understood my question.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook
single click a document you want to open with the more used app. apple+i to get info. Choose Open With, browse for the new app if it's not there, and hit 'change all'.

All done!

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for that dtownley1. It works well. Is there anyway that I can apply this to all my files without having to individually go through each one and do what you said above?

Thanks

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, JASOX.

You click on the button Change All... just below the drop-down menu in the Get Info box. See the attached screen shot below.

Change_all.png

OP
J
Reaction score
Welcome to Mac-Forums, JASOX.

You click on the button Change All... just below the drop-down menu in the Get Info box. See the attached screen shot below.

Thanks for that. But when i try and open a file after doing what you said, it automatically reverts back to opening with the version of the program i don't want to open it with. Any ideas??

Thnks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.