Menu bar appears and disappears every few seconds

Reaction score
I've been running Leopard with no trouble. Now, the right half of my menu bar appears and disappears at intervals (every few seconds). This is the portion that displays the clock, battery meter, network meter, etc.

I have reinstalled Leopard and noticed something else weird. Normally when you reinstall Leopard, the prior system is saved on the hard drive until you delete it. Well, no prior system is being saved. Maybe the reinstall is not actually taking place, but I'm not receiving any error messages and it goes through the entire hour long process.

I also verified the disk and no errors were found. I also repaired disk permissions.

I guess an option is to wipe everything clean and start completely over?

Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
No, don't wipe the drive, yet. When you reinstalled, did you select the "archive and install" option? There's more than one choice you know.

However, try this...
Find this file here:
HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plis
Drag the file to your Desktop.
Restart.
Did that fix your menu problem?
If so, that file was corrupt. It is now on your Desktop. Trash it.

If not better, the next test is to log in under a different user account. Create one if you have to.

OP
F
Reaction score
Okay, I followed your instructions and found the file. Interestingly, when I restarted the computer, my charged status returned but everything else is still missing. It also stopped appearing and reappearing. It is all gone now except the charging status and search box

I then created another account and everything is fine if logged in under that account. What steps should I take from here?

Thanks for the help so far!

Reaction score
Same in Lion

I have the same problem in Lion.
It's driving me crazy.
I tried to find the file mentioned but can't find it.
Anybody with tips????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Okay, I followed your instructions and found the file. Interestingly, when I restarted the computer, my charged status returned but everything else is still missing. It also stopped appearing and reappearing. It is all gone now except the charging status and search box

I then created another account and everything is fine if logged in under that account. What steps should I take from here?
Well, it's a problem in your old user account. It can be hard to pin down. Since a new account is fine, move all your files over and use it. Once you're sure (after several days/weeks) that you got everything, delete the old account.
I have the same problem in Lion.
It's driving me crazy.
I tried to find the file mentioned but can't find it.
Anybody with tips????
No matter. According to the above post, that didn't work anyway. But, if you didn't find the file, you were not in the correct Library folder. Follow the path given above. Now, in Lion, that folder is hidden. There is a way to get into it, but I don't use Lion so I don't recall how.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.