Remote access / network hacked?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook pro
I have a MacBook pro, an iMac, and an iPad on a hame wireless network.

It appears that someone is accessing my machines remotely aas my settings keep changing and there is unfamiliar software installed. When I look at recent activity, I see personal files I have not looked at in ages.

Am I paranoid imagining things, or is this a concern.

Log and activity items I see that I'm unfamiliar with include, vmnet- bridge
Dynamic host, usr/sbin dashboard client Sym secondary launch, , am extractor. Private frAmeworks ui plugin/. Network utility shows connections in and out of my Mac.

As I was completing my tax return the system had an unusual message pop up to press power to restart and now all I get ith the turning wheel.

When I press the apple to log out, it would show two of my login name and two force quit lines.

Nmbd windows file sharing UDP nmbd cupids launch
N
The firewall was changed somehow to allow incoming from a whole list of things

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Welcome to the Forum.
as my settings keep changing
- from what to what?

is unfamiliar software installed
- what is installed and where

firewall was changed somehow
- changed from what to what

YOu will need to provide a bit more info to get better answers rather than guesses.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
What network security do you use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Sounds like you might have a virus

No it doesn't. There isn't a single virus for Mac OS X. Not one. If there was, the media would be all over it. Stop with the lame paranoid delusions. It's like every day now, someone's like, "omg, I have a virus on my mac!!11oneone"

It's ridiculous. You do not have a virus on your Mac. There aren't any! Stop the freaking paranoia/confusing your ignorance about your computers various processes and why things might be behaving the way they are for something actually being wrong.

Sorry, this isn't just to you, but to everybody. I've seen more "OMG MY MAC HAS A VIRUS!" threads this week on various forums than ever before. It's just not true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone
No it doesn't. There isn't a single virus for Mac OS X. Not one. If there was, the media would be all over it. Stop with the lame paranoid delusions. It's like every day now, someone's like, "omg, I have a virus on my mac!!11oneone"

It's ridiculous. You do not have a virus on your Mac. There aren't any! Stop the freaking paranoia/confusing your ignorance about your computers various processes and why things might be behaving the way they are for something actually being wrong.

Sorry, this isn't just to you, but to everybody. I've seen more "OMG MY MAC HAS A VIRUS!" threads this week on various forums than ever before. It's just not true.

Just a quick question, why can the mac not get any viruses? Is it because no one writes them because of the amount of windows vs OS X? Or is it because they have better security then windows do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
It's because a virus is defined as a self replicating program, and on any unix based system to get any sort of malware infection you'd have to put in your admin password to install it. Thus you cannot get malware without you installing it yourself. If you stick to legal programs and reputable freeware, then you're fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20" 2.4 GHz Dual Core 3GB Ram 320GB Hard Drive 10.6.2 :: Ipod Touch 8 GB :: Beastly Gaming PC
Just a quick question, why can the mac not get any viruses? Is it because no one writes them because of the amount of windows vs OS X? Or is it because they have better security then windows do?

It's mostly because OS X security, but it is also partly because very few people try. It you're writing a virus, you want it to infect the largest possible amount of machines, which (for now) is windows PC's.

Reaction score
It's mostly because OS X security, but it is also partly because very few people try. It you're writing a virus, you want it to infect the largest possible amount of machines, which (for now) is windows PC's.

I never knew about this... thanks for sharing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac, iPhone
It's because a virus is defined as a self replicating program, and on any unix based system to get any sort of malware infection you'd have to put in your admin password to install it. Thus you cannot get malware without you installing it yourself. If you stick to legal programs and reputable freeware, then you're fine.

Thanks for answering guys. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.