getting an IPAD(first gen)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
My daughter's friend upgraded to the Ipad 2 last year and still has her first IPAD( 64 gig w/wifi) and keyboard- We made a deal for$ 150. I felt that was fair compared for what i saw them going online and I know she takes very good care of her electronics. will it be difficult to re-register it in my name and start and account? :\
I have been saving for a new Imac to replace my PC( so tired of needing to replace pc's every 3 years) and the IMAC was only 200.00 more than the sony I was planning on purchasing. This purchase will only put me back 2-3 more weeks from when i will have the $$ for the IMAC:$
Anyway, when I get this ipad next week, will we be able to do the transfer of ownership or do we need to contact Apple( other than the usual registration process)
I was planning on upgrading my nook color to the nook tablet but I understand there will be an apple app to access my nook books:Cool:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My daughter's friend upgraded to the Ipad 2 last year and still has her first IPAD( 64 gig w/wifi) and keyboard- We made a deal for$ 150.

...will it be difficult to re-register it in my name and start and account? :\

Anyway, when I get this ipad next week, will we be able to do the transfer of ownership or do we need to contact Apple( other than the usual registration process)

$150 is a pretty good price for that iPad. As far as the registration. There is no registration process. When you buy it…it is yours. Apple tracks all devices by the serial number…not by someone's personal information.

The only reason why Apple tracks by serial number is for warranty purposes. And with this being an iPad 1…it's very likely there is no Applecare warranty left (the standard warranty is 12 months)…and iPad 1's were released 2.5 years ago.

As far as the "account". What you are referring to is an "iTunes" or "Mac App Store" account. This is all done online…and really has nothing to do with any specific piece of Apple hardware.

Have fun with the "new to you" iPad!:)

- Nick

p.s. If you REALLY want to officially feel like this is your iPad…then get a receipt from the seller. Like I mentioned above…Apple only tracks ownership by the hardware serial number. And this ONLY happens…if you should need to take the iPad in for some sort of repair. Which you wouldn't in this case…because just about any repair would exceed the $150 you paid for it (and thus wouldn't be worth doing).

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
You can just restore the iPad to it's original condition - very simple to do - and it will walk you through the initialization process as if you had just bought it. You'll be able to register it with your AppleID right then if you choose to - and start downloading all of your apps/music etc.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.7GHz 21" iMac I5 8GB ram, 1Tb memory , iPad firs gen 64 gig , iPod touch 5 32 gig
You can just restore the iPad to it's original condition - very simple to do - and it will walk you through the initialization process as if you had just bought it. You'll be able to register it with your AppleID right then if you choose to - and start downloading all of your apps/music etc.

I know it would be best to ask this when I have the actual device, but how do you reset to factory specs? I picked up a into to ipad book at B&N( most focus on the ipad 2 and new ipad- ) found one that broke down the Ipad in general and what the newer generations added and changed.
I uploaded itunes on my PC and all of the music I had in my music library transferred right away without my having to do a thing. From what I have been reading, When I connect the device to my PC and go into itunes I will be able to see what OS that ipad is running and if any updates are needed- I should be taking possession on this next Saturday
Thanks for all the great info

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think I found my answer how to restore to original settings- I have to have it plugged into my computer and be in itunes- I got a book called "IPAD for seniors" for dummies- it breaks things down and covers original ipad -

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks- can't wait till Saturday when I get the ipad. I should have the funds for my Imac in a month- getting the ipad set me back about 2 weeks( taking a little bit from paycheck every two weeks) Just found out that because hubby works for a school, I can get a discount- should save about 100.00 between computer and applecare discount

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Got the iPAD home. Battery was nearly drained and apparently it does not charge when connected to the computer- it has been re-set and I was uploading my songs from iTunes when I had to stop and charge in a different room because the distance to the outlet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Got the iPAD home. Battery was nearly drained and apparently it does not charge when connected to the computer- .

Ahh now the $150 makes more sense :(

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The iPads do not charge very well plugged into the typical USB Port. Did the owner give you the charger you plug into the wall?

My iPad 1 takes hours to even move 10% on USB but charges fast when plugged into the Apple Wall Adapter. They all came with one in the box.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have a friend who got an early ipad and plugged it into USB and freaked because the %'s of charge was not moving. Got him to get that Adapter ThuyNga mentioned and it charged right up. so don't give up!

I have used my 1st Gen 16GB to death and the battery still seems to go as long as it did when I bought it.

PS, some after market so called iPhone store sold us some Cheap Non Apple one and it sat for 1 hour at 5 %! Piece of junk! Go with the real Apple one like mentioned above.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The iPads do not charge very well plugged into the typical USB Port.

Well there you go. Dont own 1 myself so wouldnt have picked that...... Good to know for future reference.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there you go. Dont own 1 myself so wouldnt have picked that...... Good to know for future reference.

What I noticed is they do charge but it takes ages to move a couple of %! Tried that the first days, same with some friends of mine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MB Pro, 2.66 i7 ; 11” MBA 1.8GZ i7; 13"MBA 2GZ i7 8 GB mem 512GB SSD, 2 iPad3s, 1 iPad Mini
To the OP. stop buying books. The iPad manual is a free download from Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The iPads do not charge very well plugged into the typical USB Port. Did the owner give you the charger you plug into the wall?

My iPad 1 takes hours to even move 10% on USB but charges fast when plugged into the Apple Wall Adapter. They all came with one in the box.

Everything was in the box- just thought I could do my upload and charge at the same time- It came with a back cover an Ipad KEYBOARD DOCK- works fine

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.