Time Capsule or Not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, OS X v. 10.6.8, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
I'm considering buying a Time Capsule, but I'm reading some of the comments and feedback on Apple's website. There are a lot of reports of failed hard drives and problems setting up. Are Time Capsules really that unreliable? What other alternatives would you suggest? Thanks.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm convinced that no matter what products Apple releases there will be people who consider them unreliable. So far, I have had no problems with my Time Capsule.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
My Time Capsule is almost 2 years old and has been flawless thus far.

Don't know that it'd be my first recommendation. Depends on what you're looking for. If you already have a reliable router, I'd just get an external drive so that you can create a bootable backup rather than using Time Machine, although each serves it's own purpose.

Reaction score
I am new to the Mac world. I've got a new Imac and 3 pc's on a home network that is both wired and wirless. I'm looking for something that will backup all my computers. Currently I use a MyBook hard drive for my pc's but I'd like something that could do both. I've been looking at Time Capsule and MyBook. Is there a product that allows both pc and mac to be backed up on it?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Is there a product that allows both pc and mac to be backed up on it?

The WD Mybooks can be partitioned and both partitions formatted for their respective OS.
Or you can format it as FAT32 and read/write with Win and Mac, but you'll be limited to 4gb file size. Just in case you have something that large. Also Time Machine will not write to Fat32. I recommend the first method I mentioned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
I am very happy with my TC. We are a home of multiple computers as well. My backups are performed via Time Machine and the other computers in the house just back up by using the TC as a wireless network drive. :) Its just plugged in to a NetGear router and extends the range of our wireless network. TC has proven to be a much more reliable router with a stronger and more consistent signal. Backing up the other computer over the network is fast and painless, despite having to move folders manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
uMBP 2.4/4GB/250GB; iPhone 3GS
You can use the same MyBook, partition it and uses it as a universal NAS for all your backups including Macs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.