Malware

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Just use common sense and go to the developers site before you say ok and enter your password
to make sure it is a legit download or try and find what you need in the App Store if possible.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
That strange as I appear to have picked up a Trojan.

Kev.

What did you download as it would have still require your password for the installation to complete or maybe a better question why do you think you have a problem does not mean it has a Trojan,Malware or Virus.
There are Trojans and Malware for all OS's but with those you must agree and install with a password.

OP
K
Reaction score
I have split my hard drive and am running parallels desktop on one and and the other is standard mac, I do this because I run a website business and it suites me to flit between the two. I am running Mozzila Thunderbird for my emails both on parallels and on mac both exactly the same account, as I need to access my emails on both "strange I know but I find it easier that way" anyway all was fine up untill yesterday, then when I went to send an email out I got an error message saying.

An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: Your IP address is on the XBL blacklist! Sending denied.
For further information and delisting procedure,
please see The Spamhaus Project - Blocklist Removal Center Results.

I tried from my other Thunderbird and that was the same, so I pasted the url address you can see above into a search and it took me to a site called Spamhause / Blocklist removal centre and it gave me a link to click on and that said in not so many words
"infected with/ Trojan:win32/Ramnit (microsoft)"

Everthing else is working fine, on both partitions, it's just the email that is playing up.
I can receive with no problems, just not send.

Kev.

OP
K
Reaction score
ScreenShot2012-11-18at181835.png
ScreenShot2012-11-18at171300.png

ScreenShot2012-11-18at170939.png

Sorry about the crap images, I'm afraid I'm not use to uploading them onto forums.
Kev.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Have you recently changed your provider or your IP address has been changed

It is common that you could have inherited an IP address that is on a blacklist, hence the error.

It is a right royal pain to sort out since you basically have to tell various lists that you are the new owner of an IP address and are no longer a spammer or an infected machine

OP
K
Reaction score
That sounds far to complicated for me and well beyond my means, I take it that it would'nt help if I re-installed Thunderbird.

Kev.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I just use Sophos on my mac, it doesnt really slow it down that much, i use it mainly because everyone i communicate with has a PC and have malware and viruses daily. I dont really see a need for antivirus if you are on a mac though.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Did you click on the link at the bottom of the CBL lookup page to have your IP delisted?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Also, since no one has specifically said it yet, this has nothing to specifically do with your local machine, i.e., re-installing Thunderbird or OS X or whatever will not make this go away.

Your IP address, given to you by your ISP, is one that might have been previously used to do bad things..

Visit a website like What Is My IP Address - Shows Your IP Address which will tell you what your public IP address is. Note that and then go to your cable modem and power it off and let it rest for a few minutes. Then turn it back on and once you're fully online, go back to the URL and see if your public IP changed or remained the same.

If it remained the same, your ISP is locking your cable modem to that IP, so you'll have to call them and give them the IP address and have them move to a different IP address. Do let them know that this particular one has been blacklisted so that they can quarantine the address and others won't have to go through this again..

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks everbody for all your help. I switched my imac on this moring and for some reason everything seems OK now "touch wood"
Thanks again.
Kev.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your ISP assigned you a new IP address.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.