My Poor MB.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
6838894147_897203ceec_b.jpg
This doesn't seem normal at all. >_>" I wondering if I need a new LCD display or if this is something else entirely. If it is the display itself it going to cost around 150 USD to replace myself. >_>"

What do you guys think? I still use my MB. Just not as much because it's dim compared to the MBP and it has that yellow tint to it, which it didn't have when I first got it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Can you connect an external monitor to the MB and see if that has the same symptoms ?
if it has, then it is probably the graphics card, not the LCD itself.

Cheers ... McBie

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you have to replace it, I'll warn you ahead of time that it's not a process for the faint of heart. The machine has to be COMPLETELY torn down because of the way the lid casing is designed. If I was a betting man, I'd say you'll need a new panel. It just looks like the old one has degraded over time - and they weren't great panels to begin with.

I just got done doing this on an early 2009 model (right before they switched over to the plastic Unibody version) and it was not pleasant.

Interestingly, the old panel was a Samsung and the new one was a Toshiba. There was a WORLD of difference between the two. The Toshiba was much brighter overall with a more balanced tint to it. I got the panel from Powerbook Medic for $119. It was cheaper on eBay, but I felt more comfortable having the warranty from PBM.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What do you guys think? I still use my MB. Just not as much because it's dim compared to the MBP and it has that yellow tint to it, which it didn't have when I first got it.

If you're using the MacBook by itself (not next to anything else for comparison) does it really seem dim??? Maybe this is only an issue if it is compared directly (side by side) with the MacBook Pro.

I know that the newer laptops are brighter & whiter (LED vs. LCD)...so it may just be a case of the newer technology being different (brighter)...and not a situation of the older technology actually being different (or worn out) than it's supposed to be.

Unless the MacBooks display is actually dimmer than it should be (versus when it was new)...I would just "Keep on Truckin" as things are.:) Also...maybe the "yellowness" is only being noticed because of the comparison...and not because it has changed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...if you didn't have the MBP for a side by side comparison...would you even be concerned??;)

- Nick

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you're using the MacBook by itself (not next to anything else for comparison) does it really seem dim??? Maybe this is only an issue if it is compared directly (side by side) with the MacBook Pro.

I know that the newer laptops are brighter & whiter (LED vs. LCD)...so it may just be a case of the newer technology being different (brighter)...and not a situation of the older technology actually being different (or worn out) than it's supposed to be.

Unless the MacBooks display is actually dimmer than it should be (versus when it was new)...I would just "Keep on Truckin" as things are.:) Also...maybe the "yellowness" is only being noticed because of the comparison...and not because it has changed.

Basically what I'm trying to say is...if you didn't have the MBP for a side by side comparison...would you even be concerned??;)

- Nick

Even without the MBP comparison I'm still concerned. I noticed that the screen is a lot dimmer that it use to be. Plus the yellowish tint is very noticeable even without the side by side comparison. Going to try and hook it up to my external monitor and see if there is any difference.

I also noticed small crescent shaped marks on the bottom half of the screen which is probably damage from pressure. My g/f sat on it on time. >_>" It also does something weird on Chrome where the scroll bar changes colors from like blue to yellow which it never did until the screen started to get dim and turn yellow.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Even without the MBP comparison I'm still concerned. I noticed that the screen is a lot dimmer that it use to be. Plus the yellowish tint is very noticeable even without the side by side comparison. Going to try and hook it up to my external monitor and see if there is any difference.

I see...just throwing some ideas your way.:) You can obviously can see the computer in person...and know it's history.

If it's one of those older 2.0-2.4ghz Core 2 Duo MacBooks...they're worth approx. $350-$400...so a $150 or more investment is a pretty good chunk of it's total value.

But they're still VERY good computers...so it still may be worth it if you intend on keeping it for a long time.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
You didn't somehow accidentally switch color profiles? I had mine wrong once and was all freaked out till I found it and changed it back to default :p

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't somehow accidentally switch color profiles? I had mine wrong once and was all freaked out till I found it and changed it back to default :p

It was the first thing that I checked before posting. :p

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have an MB of similar vintage and that does not look normal. Mine next to my iMac looks the same tint and very close on brightness. Did you try it on an external display as yet?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hey Crimson....

I've seen notebook machines that looked that before and it's usually due to a backlight that's dimming or yellowing. Sometimes they get that way when they get old and it only happens to the CCFL type. Like Chris said, you can get a new display which includes the backlight from the Powerbook Medic folks, or send it off to iResQ and have them change it out for you. Give iResQ a call for price first as they have a toll free line.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Do you use your Mac book outside and in situations where the artificial daylight is perhaps of a Tungsten Halogen or Metal Halide source? Is the ambient temperature high in this location?

If bromine has been added to flame retardants before plastics are moulded then Ultra -Violet and heat can slowly release it causing yellow staining.

Edit. Just noticed chscag's comment. Cold Cathode creates UV from mercury vapour discharge in order to excite the fluorescent internal coating of the lamp.

OP
CrimsonRequiem

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have an MB of similar vintage and that does not look normal. Mine next to my iMac looks the same tint and very close on brightness. Did you try it on an external display as yet?

I did and it's looks just fine on the external screen.

Hey Crimson....

I've seen notebook machines that looked that before and it's usually due to a backlight that's dimming or yellowing. Sometimes they get that way when they get old and it only happens to the CCFL type. Like Chris said, you can get a new display which includes the backlight from the Powerbook Medic folks, or send it off to iResQ and have them change it out for you. Give iResQ a call for price first as they have a toll free line.

Thanks I'll keep that in advisement.

Do you use your Mac book outside and in situations where the artificial daylight is perhaps of a Tungsten Halogen or Metal Halide source? Is the ambient temperature high in this location?

If bromine has been added to flame retardants before plastics are moulded then Ultra -Violet and heat can slowly release it causing yellow staining.

Edit. Just noticed chscag's comment. Cold Cathode creates UV from mercury vapour discharge in order to excite the fluorescent internal coating of the lamp.

Very rarely do I use my MB outside and if I do it usually at night.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I did and it's looks just fine on the external screen.

Thanks I'll keep that in advisement.

Very rarely do I use my MB outside and if I do it usually at night.

Ok no problem . I was just theorising about UV generally and then noticed the comment on CCFL. What my edit was referring to was that CCFL is Cold Cathode Fluorescent which will emit UV to have the said effect of releasing bromine from the plastic.

Yellowing in plastics with flame retardant bromine additives is common under these circumstances, particularly with acrylics. I used to work for several leading European lighting manufacturers and they used to work very hard to prevent it.

If screen yellowing is common to the CCFL version of the Macbook then it's maybe reasonable to surmise the link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.