Problem With Adium

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WhiteBook (2.16GHz C2D - 2GB RAM - 120GB HDD - OS X Tiger)
I just installed Adium 1.2.3, I was previously using Messenger for Mac... (What a difference!)
So far, I'm loving it but I'm just having one problem: I can't get my contacts' screen name to appear, I just get the email address (in the list and in the conversations). I've tried changing the viewing options from alias to username and back but it doesn't seem to help...
Anybody's got a suggestion? Thanks.

Reaction score
Right-click on the name, select get info. Select the Settings tab.
Type in a name to use as an alias. Should work for show aliases.

OP
cNK

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks.
Isn't there a easier way though? If not I'm gonna have to go through my whole list and set-up an alias for each contact...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks.
Isn't there a easier way though? If not I'm gonna have to go through my whole list and set-up an alias for each contact...

Go to the View drop down and and click on Contact Name Format at the bottom. You can change it globally there.

Here is a Pic.

adium.jpg

OP
cNK

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go to the View drop down and and click on Contact Name Format at the bottom. You can change it globally there.

Here is a Pic.

I've already tried that. I set it to username and it did not work... I've tried username (alias), still I can't get anything but the email address :Angry:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Username does not do what you want. See in my pic I have it set to Alias. It works for all my contacts in Yahoo, MSN, ICQ and AIM.

OP
cNK

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Still not working. I've set it to alias, signed out and quit Adium. I've logged back in, it's still showing the email address.
Also I'm having a problem with basic MSN emoticons not showing even after I've changed it in preferences...

OP
cNK

cNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. The problem came from the advance preferences. Under MSN, I had check the box "Show display names as status messages"...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I figured it out. The problem came from the advance preferences. Under MSN, I had check the box "Show display names as status messages"...

Good find. I don't have any buddies on MSN anymore so none were showing up. What I had told you works for all the other services. Glad you found that in case I get an MSN buddy on the list. I had no real way to mess with MSN except for my own screen name and it was showing up correctly for some reason.

Again good find.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.