Secondary button on mighty mouse

Reaction score
I have installed this mighty mouse. I have right click set as secondary button. Half the time it does nothing! I would expect it to work something like right click in other OSs (eg. linux, windoze). For example, right clicking a file I expect to get the menu "open with..." etc. But, it does actually nothing.
Any tips?
Thanks!
Justin

P.S. Is it only me who feels the side buttons, to be sqeezed betweens ones thumb and 3rd finger, require a relatively huge amount of force?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I have installed this mighty mouse. I have right click set as secondary button. Half the time it does nothing! I would expect it to work something like right click in other OSs (eg. linux, windoze). For example, right clicking a file I expect to get the menu "open with..." etc. But, it does actually nothing.
Any tips?
Thanks!
Justin

P.S. Is it only me who feels the side buttons, to be sqeezed betweens ones thumb and 3rd finger, require a relatively huge amount of force?

I was also considering the wireless Mighty Mouse, but I read a ton of reviews with similar complaints. I think the problem surrounding the second mouse button has to do with whether your finger is sitting on the left mouse button when you try to "click" the right button. Unfortunately, the overwhelming opinion on the Mighty Mouse (with the exception of Apple fan-boys) seems to be that there are still some kinks that need to be worked out.

As an aside, I picked up a bluetooth Logitech V270 mouse and it works flawlessly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
I had the same problem with the mighty mouse at first. When I was clicking where the secondary button might be, it either did nothing or it was considered primary button's click.

Then I noticed that when I click from the far-right side of the mouse there won't be any mix ups which button I click.

Like this:

Not that it's very ergonomic to use by any means but it does look good and I love the fact that there are no actual buttons and the gaps between. Easier to wipe it clean.

Justin said:

Amen to that. I thought either my mouse was broken or there was something wrong with the driver or something, lol.

OP
J
Reaction score
Wow now I can't figure it out at all. I didn't think I had a problem getting the right click to function - I just thought it's function was not practical. But now I'm not sure if it is even functioning! Now I click on a file with the right click and it is exactly the same as clicking on a file with the left click!! And I am trying it with every different area of the "right" side. Even really far down!

What should it do when you click a file or folder with the secondary button??
Thanks!
Justin

P.S. I did double check that my preferenes for the mouse had not been reset, and they had not. Right is set for secondary still.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 20", 2GB ram, 500GB hd, 256MB Radeon x1600
Wow now I can't figure it out at all. I didn't think I had a problem getting the right click to function - I just thought it's function was not practical. But now I'm not sure if it is even functioning! Now I click on a file with the right click and it is exactly the same as clicking on a file with the left click!! And I am trying it with every different area of the "right" side. Even really far down!

What should it do when you click a file or folder with the secondary button??
Thanks!
Justin

Hmm... Check from the Mouse preferences [System Pref -> Mouse] that the right button is not set to Primary Button.

If I remember right, both buttons were set as Primary by default.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel C2D 2Ghz Macbook; iPhone; 2G iPod Shuffle; 1G 2GB iPod Nano; 3G 10Gb iPod
Justin

I've had the same with my Mighty Mouse; its only 2 weeks old. It works fine then all of a sudden it screws up, nothing works and I've doubled checked my preferences etc. I'm off to the Apple Store tomorrow to check this out as my wireless keyboard has stopped working too. I'll let you know what they advise.

Cheers

Lou

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Originally Posted by Justin

Definitely. I don't even use them - three buttons are enough for me (primary, secondary and scroll wheel button).

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
I have a mighty mouse too, my right click works just its really far away. Its an expensive mouse it should work better. I have only had it for a week. I have read about the 2 week, so I have my box and reciept handy, just iin case.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hmm... Check from the Mouse preferences [System Pref -> Mouse] that the right button is not set to Primary Button.

If I remember right, both buttons were set as Primary by default.

Yes I double/triple checked all that. Now after another day, I have found that it sometimes works. So it's function does seem to do what I would expect a right click to do (at least sometimes?).

But then usually/often even if I am clicking way down the right side of it, it reacts as a left click. I found if I use my first finger on my right hand to click it, it works fine. (That's really stupid!!) It means, I am right handed, so my first finger is over the left button, my second finger over the right button. If I use my my second finger on the right button, usualy it will be a left click. If I awkwardly use my first finger to stretch over to the right click, it works fine.

I would have to say then that it is a terrible design (maybe good theory, but bad in practice). Cannot recommend this mouse!!

Justin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
This mouse is poorly designed and doesn't respond well to the way many of us use the right click. You have to be really careful to not have any pressure on the left side of the mouse when right-clicking, or else it'll be a crapshoot what you get. The sleek-ness of this mouse has a trade-off. As for the side buttons, I found at first they were hard to activate. After a while they became too easy to activate and the simple act of moving my mouse brought up expose. Needless to say, I went 3rd party for input devices and have been much happier since.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
But then usually/often even if I am clicking way down the right side of it, it reacts as a left click. I found if I use my first finger on my right hand to click it, it works fine. (That's really stupid!!) It means, I am right handed, so my first finger is over the left button, my second finger over the right button. If I use my my second finger on the right button, usualy it will be a left click. If I awkwardly use my first finger to stretch over to the right click, it works fine.

The reason is works when you use your left mouse button finger is because you then have no finger at all resting on the left hand side.

The way the mighty mouse works is this: There are two little pads, one in each side, that work like the iPod click wheel. They detect which fingers are touching the mouse. If you have the 'right click' functionality set to secondary button, the following guide will work:

index finger on left, middle finger on right = left click
index finger on left, nothing on right = left click
nothing on left, middle finger on right = right click

You have to physically not be touching the left side at all. It's not about whether there is pressure or not. The mouse can detect your finger resting on the left even if you aren't actually applying any pressure.

I never have a problem right clicking with a mighty mouse. I don't own one because I don't like them. So remember, just lift your index finger up away from the surface of the mouse and press the right side with your middle finger and you'll get a right click.

OP
J
Reaction score
This mouse is poorly designed and doesn't respond well to the way many of us use the right click. You have to be really careful to not have any pressure on the left side of the mouse when right-clicking, or else it'll be a crapshoot what you get. The sleek-ness of this mouse has a trade-off. As for the side buttons, I found at first they were hard to activate. After a while they became too easy to activate and the simple act of moving my mouse brought up expose. Needless to say, I went 3rd party for input devices and have been much happier since.

1) With nothing touching the left side, a higher proportion of the right clicks become secondary. However, still not all! If I do it like that, about 8 out of 10 of my right clicks are secondary (2 or so will be primary)!
Crazy mouse.

2)Please do tell, what mouse did you buy in the end? Got any links to it? I really would like one that will work! (And be wireless).
Thanks!
Justin

OP
J
Reaction score

The reason is works when you use your left mouse button finger is because you then have no finger at all resting on the left hand side.
i
The way the mighty mouse works is this: There are two little pads, one in each side, that work like the iPod click wheel. They detect which fingers are touching the mouse. If you have the 'right click' functionality set to secondary button, the following guide will work:

nothing on left, middle finger on right = right click

You have to physically not be touching the left side at all. It's not about whether there is pressure or not. The mouse can detect your finger resting on the left even if you aren't actually applying any pressure.

I never have a problem right clicking with a mighty mouse. I don't own one because I don't like them. So remember, just lift your index finger up away from the surface of the mouse and press the right side with your middle finger and you'll get a right click.

My experience is different.

nothing on left, middle finger on right = left click 14 times out of 15
totally let go of the mouse. Don't hold anything at all. Click right. = nearly always right click

Justin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.