Can you help me build my new Pro Mac?

Reaction score
Hello everyone - newbie here. I'm in the market to make a switch to a Mac but I think the issues with the 27" iMac are too big to be ignored so I am going to go with a Pro Mac (I would like to purchase this in the next week or two so I don't want to wait until the iMac is fixed and deliver). I'm looking for some advice on which configurations I should get. I've tried to google some of this stuff, but I'm not very computer literate. So here is what I've picked:

Quad-Core Mac
Processor: is it worth $400 to upgrade to the 2,93 GHz one?
Memory: upgrade to 8 GB
Hard Drive 1: upgrade to 1TB for $100
Graphics card: go w/ the NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB or upgrade to the ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB? Someone told me that the Radeon is for video games and video editing - neither of which I do but I also saw a post saying the NVIDIA card was "crap."
Monitor - 30" display (I want the matte finish)

Any thoughts? I really only plan to use the computer for surfing, photo editing with Photoshop and Lightroom (might become extensive), and email.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Get the fastest processor you can afford. The HDD and RAM you can add later for less from third party vendors.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Hello everyone - newbie here. I'm in the market to make a switch to a Mac but I think the issues with the 27" iMac are too big to be ignored so I am going to go with a Pro Mac

The machine is under standard warranty for a year. So, if the problem does manifest itself (and there has already been a patch issued to correct the problem), worst case scenario is that you have Apple fix it.

It seems to me that it's rather senseless to spend two or three times the amount of money on a Mac Pro, if the iMac will suffice. Not only that, but the Mac Pro is due for an update.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Not only that, but the Mac Pro is due for an update.

Ooh boy...here we go! And the next question from the "OP" is....[size=+1]DING, DING, DING[/size]..."When will the MacPro's be updated?"!!!;)

And while the "crystal ball" is turned on..."What will the new MacPros have in terms of specifications?"

Just teasing;),

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Ooh boy...here we go! And the next question from the "OP" is....[size=+1]DING, DING, DING[/size]..."When will the MacPro's be updated?"!!!;)

And while the "crystal ball" is turned on..."What will the new MacPros have in terms of specifications?"

Just teasing;),

- Nick

Actually, I did do enough research here to learn that speculating on upgrades is futile with Apple and that if the Pro Mac will do the job for me now, it will continue to do so even after an upgrade comes out. So I think I'm okay on that front. More importantly, I don't really feel like waiting a month for an iMac. And, while it shouldn't matter that much, I am a wife with a husband who travels all week. The thought of getting an iMac and then having to deal with problems later is very concerning to me. Since I do photo editing, it would not be a good situation to have to deal with yellowing screen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm in the market to make a switch to a Mac but I think the issues with the 27" iMac are too big to be ignored so I am going to go with a Pro Mac (I would like to purchase this in the next week or two so I don't want to wait until the iMac is fixed and deliver).

Do you have to have the 27" iMac? Here's a very nice refurbished 24" iMac from the Apple Store for $1279.00:

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Since you seem to do a lot of your own research...you probably already know about it & already know what a great deal Apple refurbished products are.;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
Do you have to have the 27" iMac? Here's a very nice refurbished 24" iMac from the Apple Store for $1279.00:

Refurbished iMac 24-inch 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Apple Store (U.S.)

Since you seem to do a lot of your own research...you probably already know about it & already know what a great deal Apple refurbished products are.;)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Thanks for this. I've definitely got concerns on the glossy screen with the iMacs. The only place I can fit a desk at my house is against a wall with all the lights coming from behind me. I think this is going to make photoshopping really difficult with all the glare. So the matte screen is calling my name.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for this. I've definitely got concerns on the glossy screen with the iMacs. The only place I can fit a desk at my house is against a wall with all the lights coming from behind me. I think this is going to make photoshopping really difficult with all the glare. So the matte screen is calling my name.

You do realize that the 27" iMac also has a glossy display?

From your original post, it sounded like the only reason you aren't getting the 27" iMac is because of the current display issues with the 27" (you mentioned yellowing screen)...with the glossy display not being an issue.

Also...the least expensive Mac Pro is going to cost you $2499...that's DOUBLE the cost of the refurbished 24" iMac I linked. That's a lot of extra cash vs. dealing with "possible" glossy display issues, and maybe a little furniture rearranging!;)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
You do realize that the 27" iMac also has a glossy display?

From your original post, it sounded like the only reason you aren't getting the 27" iMac is because of the current display issues with the 27" (you mentioned yellowing screen)...with the glossy display not being an issue.

- Nick

Well, both of these issues are pushing me toward the Pro Mac. And the timing delay. And that fear that one might make a mistake and not buy enough computer and then come to regret the decision later.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, both of these issues are pushing me toward the Pro Mac. And the timing delay. And that fear that one might make a mistake and not buy enough computer and then come to regret the decision later.

I certainly won't dispute buying as much computer as you can...especially if you've got the cash to do it.:)

- Nick

OP
Y
Reaction score
I certainly won't dispute buying as much computer as you can...especially if you've got the cash to do it.:)

- Nick

Thanks for that. I do have the cash for it (but that's because DH and I suffered through the last 7 years to pay off our mortgage early - so treating myself to something nice has been a long time coming). It's finally time for me to get a big girl setup with even....gasp.... my own desk.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that. I do have the cash for it (but that's because DH and I suffered through the last 7 years to pay off our mortgage early - so treating myself to something nice has been a long time coming). It's finally time for me to get a big girl setup with even....gasp.... my own desk.

You could save a few bucks getting this refurbished Mac Pro for $2149.00:

Refurbished Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon - Apple Store (U.S.)

...which would save you approx. $350 over the same "brand new" model.

Good luck,

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a great tip - and I can speak to the refurbished machines as being a great value. My first MacBook Pro was a refurbished model and it was absolutely perfect - the only difference being the box that it shipped in.

Yeah...it's not too much more than a "quad-core" 27" iMac...of course you don't get a display with a Mac Pro...so that could be an additional cost for the OP. But then a decent 24" display can be had for $200-$300 bucks.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah...it's not too much more than a "quad-core" 27" iMac...of course you don't get a display with a Mac Pro...so that could be an additional cost for the OP. But then a decent 24" display can be had for $200-$300 bucks.

- Nick

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the Apple Cinema Display is a rip-off. No doubt, it's a very good display, but there are others out there that are just as good at a fraction of the cost.

OP
Y
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the Apple Cinema Display is a rip-off. No doubt, it's a very good display, but there are others out there that are just as good at a fraction of the cost.

Any thoughts on the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 26"? I can't figure out how to tell if it is glossy or matte though.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any thoughts on the NEC MultiSync LCD2690WUXi2 26"? I can't figure out how to tell if it is glossy or matte though.

Wow...you're not kidding it's hard to figure out if this monitor is glossy or matte! I just searched for about 15 minutes...and I couldn't find that info either.

But [size=+2]WOW[/size]....this is an approx. $1000 dollar 26" monitor. This monitor + the Mac Pro is certainly going to cost a lot more than a 27" iMac would have cost you originally!:(

In any case...maybe the best bet is to call NEC and ask them the glossy vs. matte question.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I'm with ya 100% Chief!

Not many users or professionals out there NEED this sort of quality...at Apples prices! Apple definitely is not the place to purchase monitors or ram!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
cwa and pigoo both speak good truths. Here's what I'd do if I were you....

Refurbished Mac Pro and 23" Matte Apple display - some shops still carry stock and they are GREAT monitors...or get an equal or better matte 3rd party screen.

The Mac Pro is severe overkill for photo editing but if you have the money, go for it.

I do a lot of photo editing on my setup and it's fantastic...24" iMac for video with a matte 23" apple HD display for photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.