• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Does Apple not care about "Pro" users anymore??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The new "MacBook Pro" is nothing more than a 15" MacBook.
The new cinema display, and all the MacBooks don't offer a Matte option anymore.
The 17" MacBook Pro is being neglected.
I could go on and on...

Does Apple just not care about Pro users anymore?

Reaction score
Well hardware would argue this but still, I feel for such a price increase and the awesomeness of the MBP they should have much more perks then the macbook users due to the fact if someone buys a new Pro they are dropping over 2grand!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook, 4GB DDR3, 10.5.7
You still got a firewire port :p

I agree with you. It's pretty lame how much they blended the two together. I really wanted the option of choosing the type of screen. This glossy one is nice, but the glares reproduced by it is annoying.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
The new "MacBook Pro" is nothing more than a 15" MacBook.

Last time I checked the Macbook only came in 13" - Clearly pro users require a bigger screen, hence the Macbook pro is 15/17"

The new cinema display, and all the MacBooks don't offer a Matte option anymore.

I will give you a point for that one.

The 17" is getting a refresh too with a possible release in January.

Does the pro not have enough power for your needs? - There are noticeable hardware differences.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
...for such a price increase and the awesomeness of the MBP they should have much more perks ..
It's pretty lame how much they blended the two together.
There is nothing new here... I have heard these same sentiments several times before.
People used to say the same thing about the iBook G4's and PowerBook G4's during the later stages of those models.

Look... computers and technology advance and progress over time.
During that time, some models will grow "closer" to each other in specs.
That is when we hear complaints and observations like the ones expressed in this thread so far.

Eventually, the higher-end will become more "high-end".
Of course, that's when we'll start to hear complaints and observations like:

"Why doesn't (low-end model) have (cool whatchamacallit) like the (high-end model) does?"

"What do I have to do to make my (low-end model) have (cool whatchamacallit) like the (high-end model) has?"

"When do you think the (low-end model) will have (cool whatchamacallit) like the (high-end model) does?"

It's the cycle that has perpetuated for years with computers. I have witnessed at least half a dozen or so of these high-end/low-end "convergences" in my 23+ years of being an Apple user.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

No, it's not. Apple has had some production issues ramping up for the revised 17" model. It has nothing to do with neglect, it's simply a manufacturing/tooling issue. I'd be willing to bet we'll see it in the 1st quarter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Even the matte Macbook Pro displays weren't good enough for real proofing work, so you'll always need a proper accurate external display anyway.

I guess the new 24" Cinema display just happens to be Apple's first "consumer" external display, but I don't see them dropping the rest of the line, which are great for pros.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15.4" Macbook Pro, 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB DDR3, 128GB SSD Drive, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M+9600M GT
Look... computers and technology advance and progress over time.
During that time, some models will grow "closer" to each other in specs.
That is when we hear complaints and observations like the ones expressed in this thread so far.

Totally Agree.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you think this created waves, you should have been around when the original iMac did away with floppy disc drives! Was to be the death of Apple doing something that dumb and stupid.

External drives were popular for six months or so but everyone adjusted as they will again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Unibody
If you think this created waves, you should have been around when the original iMac did away with floppy disc drives! Was to be the death of Apple doing something that dumb and stupid.

External drives were popular for six months or so but everyone adjusted as they will again.

Excellent point!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alumibook 2.4, 4GB | 1TB Time Capsule | 30GB Video iPod
Bringing the products closer together is the only way they could move the prices to 1300 and 1600 respectively.

The fact of the matter is, making the less expensive macbooks a little more expensive and very good, is the best thing apple could do. Given most companies do stuff like have the lower models have some features of the higher ones but make you really want the higher ones to get what you really need.

And apple giving you everything you could want with few differentiators between models other than size and a bit more performance or options is what differentiates them as a company compared to the other manufactures out there, plus the obvious differences (proprietary operating system).

Say they upgrade the pro only, or upgrade the macbook but don't make it all aluminum or much less performance do I end up getting the pro? No, because I settle on screen size prior. If I want a 13 I am guaranteed to get a macbook, 15 or higher, a macbook pro.

I think they have realized that screen size is one of the biggest differentiators between mobile computer purchases.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
933 Mhz Powermac Quicksilver,1.5GB RAM, OSX 10.5, Tangerine 300MHz Clamshell, OS 9.2

Except we still use CDs and DVDs for everything....And we have and will continue to for at least the next 5 years.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
What is a floppy disc? I'm kidding >_>" This technology was pretty obsolete after I was born,s o that is kind of meh.

I think dropping firewire on the MB would be a close comparison.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (17" Unibody, 2.93GHz, 8GB DRR3, 320GB 7200, Anti-Glare Screen)
Except we still use CDs and DVDs for everything....And we have and will continue to for at least the next 5 years.

5 Years? You must be joking. CD's are already feeling the burn of the online music business, and I can't imagine DVD's have that much time left until digital media takes over. I haven't purchased any physical media in at least 3 months. Blu-Ray might be a noticeable exception, but even then, I think HD downloadable video will outdo it before too long.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I think dropping firewire on the MB would be a close comparison.

Yeah but unlike Floppys which CD's blew apart, USB 2.0 does not beat out Firewire at all and is much slower with file copy and Firewire is still the standard for Video cameras. Sure USB 3 will be a LOT better, but it's not here yet. You purchase a new Macbook now you have USB 2.0 and nothing else.

When the iMac G3 did away with the floppy there were CD Burners that would hold 650MB of data. I did not miss the floppy at all but need and use Firewire daily.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Yeah but unlike Floppys which CD's blew apart, USB 2.0 does not beat out Firewire at all and is much slower with file copy and Firewire is still the standard for Video cameras. Sure USB 3 will be a LOT better, but it's not here yet. You purchase a new Macbook now you have USB 2.0 and nothing else.

When the iMac G3 did away with the floppy there were CD Burners that would hold 650MB of data. I did not miss the floppy at all but need and use Firewire daily.

Wouldn't a USB/Firewire hub solve this problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.