Screen Replacement Help!

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these forums, but I am in desperate need of some clarification on the subject matter of MacBook screen replacements.

A couple of weeks ago an indecent occurred where my 13" Mac Book screen got damaged to the point where I can't make anything out on the screen anymore. Only the screen itself is damaged and not the outer casing.

I've done some research and called Apple to get a price quote on how much it would cost to replace the screen legitimately from the Apple Store. They said it would cost around 774.69$ or more! A price which is ridiculously expensive for no reason, and something I don't want to pay. I had asked them if I bought a screen online and had it replaced by an Apple certified technician, would it void my warranty? The lady on the phone said yes, because when I would bring my Mac Book to be serviced, they would find out by some means of using a program or something like that.(not sure)

I've also called IresQ and asked if by getting my screen replaced by them, would it void my warranty with Apple? (I have a 4 year extended warranty) They said no, because they use the same screen manufacture as Apple. Unfortunately they don't deal with costumers outside of the U.S. (I live in Canada.)

One of my friends told me that Apple can detect when you changed a part in your Mac Book, and thus they can void your warranty when I would bring it in to get serviced.

I also called a 3 party store ran by a Apple Certified technician (not the Apple Store) and asked him if it would void my 4 year extended warranty with Apple? He said no.

I don't want to pay over 800$ to get a new screen when a new Mac Book is 1200~$. I don't know who to trust! and I don't want to lose my 4 year extend warranty I have with Apple. I'm confused and I need clarification:

1. Does replacing a Mac Book screen myself with a replacement Mac Book screen (Same screen that Apple uses) void my 4 year extend warranty with Apple?

2.Does replacing a Mac Book screen by a Apple Certified technician with a replacement Mac Book screen (Same screen that Apple uses) void my 4 year extend warranty with Apple?

3. How can Apple know if I changed any of the original parts of my Mac Book to newly purchased parts?

4. Where can I purchase a Mac Book screen (Same screen that Apple uses), which can be delivered to Canada and does my specific version of my 13" Mac Book determine what kind of screen I should buy?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What kind of 4 year extended warranty do you have with Apple? Here in the US Apple Care extends the original 1 year factory warranty to an additional 2 years for a total of 3. I know there are third party warranties which can be that long, for example: from Best Buy. But from Apple? Anyway, that's for you to sort out.

As for replacing the screen yourself - it will void the warranty on the screen but the remainder of the MacBook will be covered.

Any work on the machine done by an Apple authorized service center or by Apple itself does not void the warranty.

As far as finding a screen in Canada, you'll have to do the searching yourself. There are service centers here in the US which will ship a screen to Canada but it may not be cost effective. It would be best to locate a replacement screen in Canada.

How can Apple tell if you replaced a part yourself? They use magic. :) Believe me, they can tell - so it's best to be honest with them.

And the moral of this entire story is to take better care of your MacBook. The next time you purchase another notebook computer, buy additional accidental damage coverage.

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Any work on the machine done by an Apple authorized service center or by Apple itself does not void the warranty.

Regards.

So If I buy a Mac Book screen (Same screen that Apple uses) and have a Apple authorized service center install it for me, my warranty will still be valid?

If this true then is good news! So I should purchase a screen online and bring it to a Apple authorized service and have them install it for me? Can anyone ball-park a cost on this? Screen cost + Technician work cost?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If this true then is good news! So I should purchase a screen online and bring it to a Apple authorized service and have them install it for me? Can anyone ball-park a cost on this? Screen cost + Technician work cost?

Be careful the way you read my reply. Notice I stated that any "work"....

Apple will not warrant a third party screen. For that you would have to go back to where you purchased the screen. You may just run into a "catch 22" situation by supplying your own screen and having an authorized Apple tech replace it.

Have you thought about replacing the screen yourself? Are you handy with repairing things and can you follow instructions? If so, you might want to take a look at this website. Find your model MacBook first, price out a screen, and then look up the step by step instructions for do it yourself replacement.

Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Regards.

OP
D
Reaction score
Be careful the way you read my reply. Notice I stated that any "work"....

Apple will not warrant a third party screen. For that you would have to go back to where you purchased the screen. You may just run into a "catch 22" situation by supplying your own screen and having an authorized Apple tech replace it.

Have you thought about replacing the screen yourself? Are you handy with repairing things and can you follow instructions? If so, you might want to take a look at this website. Find your model MacBook first, price out a screen, and then look up the step by step instructions for do it yourself replacement.

Go to iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories

Regards.

So replacing the screen with one that I purchased online will only void the warranty on the screen and not the remainder of the machine? Can this be confirmed?

So are you saying that I should buy a replacement screen and install my self to save money? I'm good with PCs I've built 3 of my own entire machines and I can follow instructions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.26 13in MBP
Well the lady clearly stated that if you replace the screen the warrenty will voided so that pretty much clarifies it if your worried call them up acouple times and see what diffrent reps say

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.