Can I transfer OS from HD to SSD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
I want to purchase an SSD for my Macbook Pro (Leopard OS). I want to swap out the HD with the SSD.

The Leopard OS DVD didn't come in the box.

Is there anyway copy the OS from the HD to the SSD so that I can boot from the SSD?

Also is there anyway to make Leopard install DVD from what's on my HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Yeah, like McYukon said, it isn't recommended to clone a HDD to a SSD due to the write and data structure of the SSD compared to the HDD.

OP
RattlerMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone6s, Mini Server (2011), MBP 15inch i7(2013) Retina, iPad Pro
Thanks...for the answer. I will go out and buy the Leopard DVD before I do the switch over from HD to SSD.

Reaction score
I want to purchase an SSD for my Macbook Pro (Leopard OS). I want to swap out the HD with the SSD.

The Leopard OS DVD didn't come in the box.

Is there anyway copy the OS from the HD to the SSD so that I can boot from the SSD?

Also is there anyway to make Leopard install DVD from what's on my HD?

Not sure why everyone on this forum states you MUST do a clean install when moving to a SSD. That is incorrect. I have done it several times without any problems.

Just get a copy of SuperDuper cloning software and it will have no problem cloning your current install to the SSD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mbp 15 2009, mbp 13 2010
there seems to be 2 parties here here one go for clone, one go for using osx install, which party is right ?

Reaction score
there seems to be 2 parties here here one go for clone, one go for using osx install, which party is right ?

It seems the people that are recommending a clean install are following advice from OWC.

Not that they are wrong but they are stating what may be best for their SSDs.

I don't use OWC drives.

In any event if you have a time machine backup that is current, made just before you move anything to a SSD, then first doing a clone would be the way to go. If it works as it has for me you're up and running. If it doesn't then all you have to do is wipe the SSD and install clean. Then use the TM backup to move all your files over. You also have the original drive which has everything on it.

But in all honesty I don't see the difference between cloning or using TM at the time of a clean install. You end up with all the same data with both systems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The main problem cloning to an SSD is with alignment. Poor alignment is the reason many SSD's do fail early in life. Have a read of this link and make up own mind the way to go:-

Cloning HDD to SSD. - AnandTech Forums

Whilst nearly all the discussion is from Windows users, it is pertinent to Macs as well.

Reaction score
Right but there is a way to check the alignment before you begin. If it checks out then you are fine to clone.

I always check the alignment of the HDD on both platforms, Mac & PC before cloning or imaging.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.