Lifelong Microsoft fan...

Reaction score
Hello

First, about me. I'm a software developer that works with .Net, SQL Server, ASP.Net, etc. This won't ever change. O:)

I am however interested in branching out with Java and thought I'd learn it on a different OS while I was at it. I prefer Macs over Linux. So, my questions are...

1. What major relational databases run on the Mac?
2. Other than Java, what other programming languages can be used to develop on the Mac?
3. What development tools are available for the Mac (e.g. I use Visual Studio and NetBeans)?
4. What reporting tools are available for the Mac (e.g. I use SQL Reporting Services and Crystal Reports)?

I'd love to hear from you guys about this! If there's enough there, I'd consider myself a semi-Switcher (Microsoft will always be in my heart) :D

James

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there's a guy named xstep on these boards who seems well suited to this thread. if you don't get any decent replies, i'd send him a p.m. if i were you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
1. Offhand I can think of mySQL and postgreSQL running from them, there are clients for oracle etc.
2. C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Assembly, I use perl, python, and multiple shell scripting languages,
4. xcode nicely handles C, C++, Objective-C, Objective-C++, Java and Assembly
5. unsure

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
Oracle, MySQL, File Maker, C++, ObjC, Ruby (yeah), Perl, Python, Java.

Xcode is nice, as is NetBeans, Coda and Text Mate.

Reaction score
soory to hijack but...
im taking a course in school about basic web design.
1.) are there ANY good html editors out there for my mac?
2.) firefox doesnt display my web page correct. how can i fix it so it shows right????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
soory to hijack but...
2.) firefox doesnt display my web page correct. how can i fix it so it shows right????

1. Ever try DreamWeaver?? Personally I use Dream Weaver, but started off with Taco HTML Editor, but it is as basic as it gets, comes with a 30 free trial and then it's like 15$ for a license or something around that.
2. Not sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hello

First, about me. I'm a software developer that works with .Net, SQL Server, ASP.Net, etc. This won't ever change. O:)

I am however interested in branching out with Java and thought I'd learn it on a different OS while I was at it. I prefer Macs over Linux. So, my questions are...

1. What major relational databases run on the Mac?
2. Other than Java, what other programming languages can be used to develop on the Mac?
3. What development tools are available for the Mac (e.g. I use Visual Studio and NetBeans)?
4. What reporting tools are available for the Mac (e.g. I use SQL Reporting Services and Crystal Reports)?

I'd love to hear from you guys about this! If there's enough there, I'd consider myself a semi-Switcher (Microsoft will always be in my heart) :D

James

1) More or less all of the major ones except Microsoft-proprietary garbage like Microsoft SQL (OS X is a UNIX derivative, after all). The most well-known ones are probably MySQL, PostgreSQL, Front/OpenBase, and Oracle.

2) All of them except Microsoft-proprietary annoyances like C#

3) Eclipse is very popular, NetBeans is available on OS X, many people like using Xcode (free download if you register on developer.apple.com, which is also a free process), and I hear good things about Coda... of course there are always the basic text editors programmers love for individual files when they don't want to look at the whole project like Emacs, Vim and the like.

4) SQL Reporting Services and Crystal Reports both work on Mac OS X.

soory to hijack but...

1) Emacs is my favourite editor for working on any sort of code.
2) I don't have magical psychic powers that allow me to see the HTML you've written, and even if I did, I'd tell you to at least make some semblance of a try at fixing your homework before asking strangers on the Internet to do it for you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
soory to hijack but...
How is it not displayed correctly?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
soory to hijack but...

Try not to hijack threads

You will get a better response from a new thread with a catchy title, web heads will see it and give you lots of good advice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
there's a guy named xstep on these boards who seems well suited to this thread. if you don't get any decent replies, i'd send him a p.m. if i were you.

Thanks for the confidence Eric. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
4) SQL Reporting Services and Crystal Reports both work on Mac OS X.
According to Business Objects, Crystal Reports works only on MS Windows platforms. And I suspect that is the same for SQL Reporting Services.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
According to Business Objects, Crystal Reports works only on MS Windows platforms. And I suspect that is the same for SQL Reporting Services.

Weird, I could have sworn there was something in Eclipse or other that offered the functionality of Crystal Reports on OS X. You're definitely right about SQL Reporting services though, my bad. I guess my Windows and Mac usage kind of blend together.

Ah, right. Apparently for some reason the Eclipse thing doesn't work in Mac OS X even though it DOES in Linux. Weird.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There seems to be a mention in this thread that one can get Crystal Reports for Eclipse to run on OS X. The note is over a year old and doesn't say which version of OS X was used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.