Boot Camp: Installing Windows WITHOUT disc drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.3 - MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
I everybody,

I'm trying to install Windows XP using Leopard's Boot Camp on my system, but the cd drive on my MacBook Pro is broken and doesn't read cds well.
BootCamp keeps telling me to insert the windows cd and when I insert the disc finder tells me that I inserted a blank cd.

So, having the cd unit unusable, I wonder if there's any way of installing Windows XP using an image of Windows XP install disc mounted into an external drive (I have an external FireWire HDD), or by any other ways.

TIA

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I everybody,

I'm trying to install Windows XP using Leopard's Boot Camp on my system, but the cd drive on my MacBook Pro is broken and doesn't read cds well.
BootCamp keeps telling me to insert the windows cd and when I insert the disc finder tells me that I inserted a blank cd.

So, having the cd unit unusable, I wonder if there's any way of installing Windows XP using an image of Windows XP install disc mounted into an external drive (I have an external FireWire HDD), or by any other ways.

TIA

I'd recommend a cheap, external USB CD-ROM drive. While it is possible to install Windows from a network drive, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and headache just using a CD.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OS X 10.5.3 - MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo - 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Yeah, that's probably a good idea :D

I'll check for prices... even thou I just spent a lot of money replacing my MBP HDD...

Anyway, would it be possible to trick Boot Camp into thinking you have a bootable Windows inserted so it "prepares" the installation from somewhere else than an actual cd? just to know

Reaction score
I'd recommend a cheap, external USB CD-ROM drive. While it is possible to install Windows from a network drive, you'll save yourself a lot of hassle and headache just using a CD.

some body knows the steeps to do it please ?
or how install windowx xp on bootcamp via network ?

thank a lot

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
some body knows the steeps to do it please ?
or how install windowx xp on bootcamp via network ?

thank a lot

That's beyond the scope of this forum. There have been *books* published that get into the intracacies of such an install, and honestly, I don't believe it's even possible on a Mac.

Reaction score
is there any way to install xp on bootcamp WITHOUT using dvd internal drive please ?

using external dvds, usb flash, network or another ?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
is there any way to install xp on bootcamp WITHOUT using dvd internal drive please ?

using external dvds, usb flash, network or another ?

Yes, you can use an external DVD drive. You just need to hold down the option key to select it during boot up.

Reaction score
Yes, you can use an external DVD drive. You just need to hold down the option key to select it during boot up.

Not work like this, not on my computer.
why on boot can not show this new external drive.

i can see mounted on leopard when the leopard finish the start up, but not at the begining holding option key
what can i do please !

Reaction score
This is a common problem for us, Air users as well, Using external drive here.

Reaction score
I've been having problems installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm using an external dvd drive or what. So I've partitioned my hard drive just fine, but when I try to boot up the Windows cd, it says "no bootable device found, press any key to continue" (or something along those lines). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've searched all over this as well as other forums about the no bootable device thing, and tried a bunch of options, but nothing has worked so far. so maybe it's becuase I have an external drive? I have no idea. But any help would be much appreciated :)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've been having problems installing Windows on my MacBook Pro, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm using an external dvd drive or what. So I've partitioned my hard drive just fine, but when I try to boot up the Windows cd, it says "no bootable device found, press any key to continue" (or something along those lines). I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I've searched all over this as well as other forums about the no bootable device thing, and tried a bunch of options, but nothing has worked so far. so maybe it's becuase I have an external drive? I have no idea. But any help would be much appreciated :)

OK, this begs the question... why not just use the internal drive?

Reaction score
OK, this begs the question... why not just use the internal drive?

well i guess i forgot to mention that my internal drive is not working, and i can't get it fixed yet. so i'm using this external drive in the meantime...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well i guess i forgot to mention that my internal drive is not working, and i can't get it fixed yet. so i'm using this external drive in the meantime...

OK. You should be able to just hold the Option key down during startup (immediately after turning the machine on and when the screen first comes up). Assuming the disc is in the drive, it should eventually give you the option to boot from it (keep holding it until you see the selection appear).

Reaction score
OK. You should be able to just hold the Option key down during startup (immediately after turning the machine on and when the screen first comes up). Assuming the disc is in the drive, it should eventually give you the option to boot from it (keep holding it until you see the selection appear).

yeah, i've tried that... the cd is recognized as windows, but it still says "no bootable device"

really, i could get my internal fixed if that's the problem... but if it's something else, than i'd rather just leave my drive be for the meantime... (hah i hope that makes sense).

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, i've tried that... the cd is recognized as windows, but it still says "no bootable device"

really, i could get my internal fixed if that's the problem... but if it's something else, than i'd rather just leave my drive be for the meantime... (hah i hope that makes sense).

What kind of disc are you using? Note that it must be a retail copy or OEM for system builders (you can NOT use a system restore disc from another vendor like Dell, HP, Acer, etc).

I ask this because it sounds like the drive is being recognized just fine - it just doesn't see the disc as bootable.

Reaction score
What kind of disc are you using? Note that it must be a retail copy or OEM for system builders (you can NOT use a system restore disc from another vendor like Dell, HP, Acer, etc).

I ask this because it sounds like the drive is being recognized just fine - it just doesn't see the disc as bootable.

well i got the disk through my school...so i'm not sure what kind of disk it is. but i think it should be the right kind, because i believe that other people in my department have used disks from the school to put windows on their macs. i'm not positive about that though.. i guess i'll look into that.

Reaction score

I suppose I should just going to look into getting my internal drive fixed...ugh

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's very important that you're using one of the versions specified by the Boot Camp Documentation. It's equally important that you're using a legal copy, because if not, our discussion is pretty much over here as we don't permit discussion of illegal activity on this forum.

Reaction score
It's very important that you're using one of the versions specified by the Boot Camp Documentation. It's equally important that you're using a legal copy, because if not, our discussion is pretty much over here as we don't permit discussion of illegal activity on this forum.

it's definitely a legal copy... my university is licensed through microsoft to sell XP to students at a discounted price. I just don't know if it's necessarily a retail copy...

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it's definitely a legal copy... my university is licensed through microsoft to sell XP to students at a discounted price. I just don't know if it's necessarily a retail copy...

Right, but that would be the Academic discounted version, which comes in a retail, shrink-wrapped box. It wouldn't be a disc someone burned and handed to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.