Buying MBP - Need Assistance

Reaction score
I need a sturdy/RELIABLE/long-lasting laptop that is going to last me at least 3+ years. It will be used for mostly programming and some light gaming(eg. Diablo 3, TF2). I also need it to run photoshop, illustrator, etc flawlessly. And it will be bootcamped.

Games don't need to run on full settings, medium with good fps is fine.
I have narrowed it down to the 15 inch model, but can't decide to go low-end or high-end. If the high-end is going to make the laptop last me longer, then I am all for spending the extra cash for it.

Any suggestions or advice are greatly appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Go high end if you want to be able to play D3 or TF2. And that is for good FPS. Having the full video card is key, the Intel one is not enough for those games at all. Besides, it is not something that can ever be upgraded or added on.

Get your RAM upgraded after the fact, it is cheaper.

Make sure to get the best processor, even at the expense of a larger HD - again, it is something that cannot be upgraded after you buy the PC, where the HD can be upgraded.

Getting the higher end model will be the best idea, especially if you want to still be using it 3 years from now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
Go high end if you want to be able to play D3 or TF2. And that is for good FPS. Having the full video card is key, the Intel one is not enough for those games at all. Besides, it is not something that can ever be upgraded or added on.

Make sure to get the best processor, even at the expense of a larger HD - again, it is something that cannot be upgraded after you buy the PC, where the HD can be upgraded.

Getting the higher end model will be the best idea, especially if you want to still be using it 3 years from now.

Ditto!

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Moved from Community Suggestions and Feedback to the appropriate forum.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I have to agree spending more in this case is not going to have it last longer, but it would be able to better do what you want it to do.

OP
S
Reaction score

Thank you!

what about an Alienware M14x or something like that?

I really cannot fathom owning a laptop that looks like a failed military stealth bomber lol.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
There are 2 laptops that you couldn't even pay me to own. Sony and Alienware I have never seen work right for long.

Alienware's are fast systems but they usually overheat due to the fact the try to cram desktop components inside or make a mini version of desktop components.

Sony's look nice but they usually will not evan last their warranties without problems. I have worked on one that was purchased for $3800 SSD failed in 3 months, due to warranty it had to go to a authorized shop, took sony 3 months to ship the part and would not even include the reinstall disks.

Apple is doing a great job at the moment, their prices may be high, but they last longer, so you are buying less computers over time and paying less for repairs over time.

OP
S
Reaction score
There are 2 laptops that you couldn't even pay me to own. Sony and Alienware I have never seen work right for long.

Alienware's are fast systems but they usually overheat due to the fact the try to cram desktop components inside or make a mini version of desktop components.

Sony's look nice but they usually will not evan last their warranties without problems. I have worked on one that was purchased for $3800 SSD failed in 3 months, due to warranty it had to go to a authorized shop, took sony 3 months to ship the part and would not even include the reinstall disks.

Apple is doing a great job at the moment, their prices may be high, but they last longer, so you are buying less computers over time and paying less for repairs over time.

I agree. That's one of the main reasons I am drawn to trying out a Mac. Apple seems to have pretty reliable machines(perhaps only because of their lack of customization?).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.