iPhone 4 Breaks Easily?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro, Silver. 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Hi, not sure where to put this, but this section seems quite appropriate.

Recently I have seen reports that the iPhone 4 'breaks' easier that the iPhone 3GS. I was about to get an iPhone so I would like to know is it just the outside of the iPhone that smashes easily or does the inner hardware break too.

Thanks,

missgiraffe

i know it's dumb but i'm not a tech wizz:Blushing:

Reaction score
Hi MissGaffe,

I don't think those rumors can be substantiated to any degree by the data out there. The iPhone 4 is by far the most popular iPhone to date and users really do not report any defects more so than the previous iPhones, as far as I am aware.

When you say "breaks" what are you referring to? There is a "death grip" issue with the external antenna which received lots of press and that may be what you've heard. However, any case should minimize that occurring.

-MDB

Reaction score
THE Hoblest

MissGiraffe,

Don't be sorry about not being a "tech wizz", that's what we MFers are here to help you with :)

Part of the issue is that the iphone4 is glass - it's a double-edged sword because it enables you to really shine it up and look slick (see my thread on the wet look), but also means those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones - or in this case, drop their phones ;D

Regards,
iphone4u2nv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Worrying about smashing an iphone?? What's stopping another phone from getting smashed? Don't drop it...solves all your problems.

OP
missgiraffe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A Reception Problem

Worrying about smashing an iphone?? What's stopping another phone from getting smashed? Don't drop it...solves all your problems.

I don't mean just that. It happens, but I'm a careful person with my possessions.
Not saying I believe the media, they tend to tizzy out the truth a little bit, but on the news last night it said that iPhone 4's were breaking in handbags. Also I am aware (i actually know something, yay!O:)) that iPhone 4's have had reception problems and then Steve Jobs said something about holding phones wrong and every one got angry at each other and things. If reception is a big problem with the iPhone 4's please say because I have no experience whatsoever with iPhones, but lots with some other Smartphones.

I'm sorry again for the people who find this of extreme annoyance, (is that even a word?:\) But I just wasn't born as talented as you. Sorry:Blushing:

missgiraffe
i know i ask annoying questions but
please please forgive me! i don't mean
to!:Blushing:

OP
missgiraffe
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOLD THE PHONE- A Reception Problem?

Firstly, I am posting this because I answered most of my own questions and secondly because I really want to help people instead of just feeling silly all the time.:Blushing: Finally I would like to say that no one has to believe this or anything and I really like Apple so if it seems that I'm a hater I apologize deeply.

Recently Apple admitted that there is a reception problem with the iPhone 4. Cases report signal strength bars being low in lots of places and even calls disconnecting halfway through. Admirable admitting, Apple!:D

It seems Apple responded in two different ways. Firstly, they promised a software update hopefully fixing the problem that seemed on occasion to pop up on the iPhone 3G & 3GS as well.

Upon investigation, we were stunned to find that the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong. Our formula, in many instances, mistakenly displays 2 more bars than it should for a given signal strength. For example, we sometimes display 4 bars when we should be displaying as few as 2 bars. Users observing a drop of several bars when they grip their iPhone in a certain way are most likely in an area with very weak signal strength, but they don't know it because we are erroneously displaying 4 or 5 bars. Their big drop in bars is because their high bars were never real in the first place.

To fix this, we are adopting AT&T's recently recommended formula for calculating how many bars to display for a given signal strength. The real signal strength remains the same, but the iPhone's bars will report it far more accurately, providing users a much better indication of the reception they will get in a given area. We are also making bars 1, 2 and 3 a bit taller so they will be easier to see.

We will issue a free software update within a few weeks that incorporates the corrected formula. Since this mistake has been present since the original iPhone, this software update will also be available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 3G.

reference-http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/02/apple-iphone-4-reception-problems-a-software-issue-fix-coming/

Yes, Apple acted admirably by promising a software update. However, it seems that Steve Jobs made some people angry by saying they have been holding their phones wrong!

"Gripping any phone will result in some attenuation of its antenna performance, with certain places being worse than others depending on the placement of the antennas. This is a fact of life for every wireless phone. If you ever experience this on your iPhone 4, avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases." Steve Jobs.

To me parts of it seem logical- using a case for your phone, especially the iPhone, is quite logical and seems to some just common sense. Cases are also good for protection, and in some cases have helped phones survive nasty drops.

People may tell me this, "Why would you drop you iPhone anyway?" but it isn't (usually!) on purpose. The iPhone 4 screen and back is made of enhanced glass, so it, in some cases, has broken easily. It has been reported the back has broken in a handbag, which is not good. But it brings me back to: 'A Phone + Glass = You Probably Should Get A Case'. I am not completely agreeing with Steve Jobs though, cases shouldn't be completely necessary, they should be a choice thing but I get cases for everything, and I haven't broken an electronic device yet. Another reason you should get a case is because accidental breakage such as dropping your iPhone, smashing the screen etc. will not be covered under your warranty. So it to me seems like a pretty nice idea to get a case, and who wants the back of their iPhone scratched and dirty anyway?

When the next generation of iPhone comes (because it probably will) all this probably won't be a problem, but compared to other things it (as I have recently found out) can be fixed. I'd recommend a case personally because glass doesn't mix with anything really, and who wants to hold their iPhone all weird anyway?

Thanks to this investigation I will be getting an iPhone 4 soon, so I'm glad I did it. I hope someone here got a little bit out of it and I hope no one criticizes me too much because I apologize for not being as brilliant as helping people as you are. :Blushing:

missgiraffe:)

Reaction score
Len tobional

Missgiraffe, why so defensive? Nobody here was annoyed by your query in the slightest, and we answered to the best of our abilities (I even rhymed for you). Personally, I replaced the back of the phone with a metal back from Hong Kong with the Apple logo and everything, for $10. Looks a lot cooler too. You can get all kind of different material backs - felt, leather, cork, different colors. The front is still glass, but Ive dropped it dozens of
times and nothing has ever happened - I dont use a case because I like to preserve the phones beauty (see my thread on the wet look).

What I DID do is get Ghost Armor on the sides, which prevents any potential death grip - though that issue was supposedly fixed anyway. Hope this is a more helpful response for you.

Regards,
iphone4u2nv

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
What I DID do is get Ghost Armor on the sides, which prevents any potential death grip - though that issue was supposedly fixed anyway. Hope this is a more helpful response for you.

There have been rumors to that effect but since Apple has not changed the product nomenclature on the iPhone 4 since its release my guess is the hardware hasn't been changed. Once would suspect that if it had some site out there would have taken one apart and exposed the changes by now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2006 Macbook Pro 15.4" glossy screen, 2.16 ghz, 640 gb, 2 gb ram
I have found the death grip issue to be WAY overblown. I've had an iPhone for a while and never have had an issue with service...and I even tried to do the death grip.

I know the iPhone is pretty slick looking, but I'd recommend a good case. A $200 or $300 dollar piece of equipment that will go with you everywhere you go deserves some protection. Plus, with glass on both sides a drop is twice as likely to cause cosmetic damage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - Mid 2012 - i7 / iPad Air / iPhone 5s / ATV3
I had issues with the durability of HTC phones (They are crazy fragile and I swear I'll never own another one). Because of that experience, I've added some kind of rubberized skin to every Phone I've had since. So if you expect to have a skin on your phone, antenna issues for any phone are nil. Both my 3gs and my 4 have have Speck Candyshell skins on them and not only have I had no reception issues but I've also dropped them with no damage at all.

-Mike

Reaction score
There have been rumors to that effect but since Apple has not changed the product nomenclature on the iPhone 4 since its release my guess is the hardware hasn't been changed. Once would suspect that if it had some site out there would have taken one apart and exposed the changes by now.

What I read is that there was a coating that was supposed to be on the metal but was left off.

Reaction score
Spending so much on a phone lends me to want to protect it. Plus I've always had problems with dropping phones, not trying too but accidents happen. Anyways, I tried a couple of different cases and the one that I am sticking with is Otterbox defender. First case that I am not worried at all about dropping the phone plus with the rubberized outer skin its not as likely to happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
If only people spent as much time worrying about protecting their debt to income ratio...

Anyhow, the internet is full of rumor and opinion. I haven't seen anything myself that compels me to believe Apple did anything other than introduce a great phone to the market, and then let Steve drive the PR wagon into a ditch for a while. The iPhone is made up externally of mainly glass, not aluminum. One would expect it to be less scratch-prone and more crack-prone due to that. Yes, bullet trains use similar materials. They also have different mounting systems, tension systems to distribute load and glass curvature options that a 4" phone does not. My mechanic gloves are made of kevlar, but that doesn't mean they are even remotely functionally similar to an M2 AP.

The reception issues seem to be a divining rod for warring pundits and fanboys, so I'll stay out of that one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5' iMac i3 3.2GHz, 13.3' MacBook Pro 2.26GHz, iPhone 4(16GB), 160GB iPod Classic
I am sure the iPhone 4, like any phone will break if you drop it enough. Get a case for it, I have had one on mine since day one, and dropped it a few times on concrete and it still works fine, no cracks in the glass.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I put Ghost Armor on my iPhone 4 day one to protect from scratches cause I carry my phone in my pocket. Drops happen no matter what brand your phone is. Add it to your home owner's or renter's insurance to cover major damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.