Looking For Advice On A Macbook

Reaction score
I'm looking at making the leap to Apple, it's just a little expensive. I'm going to get one off of eBay, but I don't know what the least amount of machine is I'll need. It needs to be able to run a Windows VM on it, I'm looking in the 13" size. I just don't understand the model schemes real well, I need to know what model is the lowest I can get away with, with perhaps a memory upgrade. Obviously I want to get the best machine possible, I just need to know the bottom, so I don't get something too under powered. I appreciate any advice!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hello and welcome to the forum! :)

Well, I'm first assuming w/ the mention of 13" that you are interested in an Apple laptop rather than an iMac? You might want to better define your needs, which will greatly impact on display size (e.g. 11" or 13" for portability vs. a 15" for more intensive office or photographic uses), amount of RAM, and HD type and size?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Well, I'm first assuming w/ the mention of 13" that you are interested in an Apple laptop rather than an iMac? You might want to better define your needs, which will greatly impact on display size (e.g. 11" or 13" for portability vs. a 15" for more intensive office or photographic uses), amount of RAM, and HD type and size?

Thread title says "MacBook".:)

- Nick

OP
nim6us
Reaction score
As Nick so astutely pointed out yes I am looking at a laptop, I think 13" is the perfect size, any smaller and you've got an iPad ;) I didn't mention memory or HD space because typically those two things can be upgraded. I'm more concerned with processor and hardware standards like gigabit ethernet. I'm mainly going to be using it to do network testing and I'd like to run VMware so I could run a Windows VM for troubleshooting. Then personally to surf the net, check email, watch video, no gaming.

I guess I'll just have to use my common sense. I mean it's probably like a Windows box. Anything over 5 years is probably too old, 3 years is going to be more ideal. Maybe this thread was a bad idea, now that I say talked my way through all this.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I guess I'll just have to use my common sense. I mean it's probably like a Windows box. Anything over 5 years is probably too old, 3 years is going to be more ideal. Maybe this thread was a bad idea, now that I say talked my way through all this.

Probably great advice you gave yourself there!;)

I actually have a 2008 MacBook with 4 gig of ram (5 years old) and it does a pretty good job with most things.:)

But as computers get older...their used values sort of get "fuzzy" (don't depreciate as quickly). So while a 2008 MacBook maybe worth say $350...for just a "few" bucks more ($400-$450) you could get a 2009 or 2010 MacBook...which may be a bit more powerful.

The key for me (in 2013) is get a MacBook that is upgradeable to at least 4gig of ram (usually 2008 & onwards). Anything less...and you're bound to run into some performance issues.

HTH,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...when I say "MacBook" I'm talking the 13" White polycarbonate (plastic housing) computer. MacBook Pro's on the other hand have aluminum housing's. Two different models. From a terminology standpoint "MacBook" does not = "MacBook Pro".:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.