Where is the Best Place to Learn About Proper...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP OS 10.6.8, 3.06 GHz Intel C2D, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM
Hello!

I used to do some regular maintenance with my last OS and Mac that I believe really helped. However I have not been successful with finding what should be done, if anything to keep my new MBP, OS 10.6.3 in top working order. I would hold down the shift key and restart and a little cleaning and checking would be done but not with SL. I already have hundreds of double fonts and the explanation in the Help section of the Font Book is not clear to be how to deactivate a bunch of repeat fonts that have already accumulated n my Font Book. Any other recommendations on where I can find a clear list of clear items a nerd can use to help keep up his MBP.

I will end this by saying the little things i learned to do with Mac OS X 10.4.9 (I think was my last OS, before I received this new computer.

In advance, thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Many people say no regular maintenance is needed. Others run permissions repair willy nilly (whether it needs it or not). Just do what you're comfortable with. Download the free utility Onyx. That should be enough.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the Help

With my old MBP, I would do a few things like hold down the shift key and restart. Empty the cache, etc., 'so there is no manual that goes over what Apple recommend one do wit the latest OS on the MBP to keep things lines up and hopefully working correctly.

I found this interesting I just got the new MBP, 16.3 and the Apple genius did a fresh reinstall (long story) I took the MBP home and decide to do the repair permissions after checking the permission and it fixed at least a hundred messed up permissions. could that be the case with a new MBP, after the genius guy had to wipe the hard drive clean and then do a fresh install. there were some odd mistakes he made like putting someone's else pictures on my computer so I thought maybe the repair permissions was accurate.

You like onyx. Do you have a link for that? I can't find it in goggle for some reason. Is it an Apple approved app?

Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 12" 1.33 GHz 768 MB OS X 10.5.8
Try Googling "onyx" and trying the first result. You must have spelled something wrong or really used 'goggle.'

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Titanium Software

I don't know why your search didn't work. I did "Onyx for Macintosh" and this was the third thing listed.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah, I just ran into this app the other day

For some reason google images was loaded in my google search bar. Anyway, I did come across this program and I even registered to ask a few questions. I do not remember where that page is where people ask or respond to questions, but I never received any emails from replies to my questions.

Although this one was not one of my questions, I did think before I downloaded it if I would be able to understand much about what it does and how to use it without messing up my NEW MBP. When I was reading about the app., I was thinking to myself; "what the heck are they talking about? Will I know what that means or how to that on my notebook." I decided not to download it.

Thanks for the link.

C

chas_m

"google search bar"?

"registered to ask a few questions"?

"emails from replies"?

Okay, this tells me that you are really at a pretty novice level with your Mac. There's no shame in that, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. :)

If there's an Apple Retail Store in SLC, I'd suggest visiting and signing up for their classes and one-on-one training. It will be a lot more help having someone right there to answer your questions than waiting for the slow back-and-forth of a forum (which, btw, doesn't email replies).

Another option I'd suggest would be finding and joining your local Mac User Group. Usually comprised of people at various skill levels, most are very dedicated to helping users have a good experience.

As for maintenance, most people can get by with very simple, occasional maintenance. The first and most important thing by far is to regularly back up your data, at least your Home folder if not the entire drive. Time Machine is built into Mac OS X (Leopard and Snow Leopard) and needs an external hard drive to work, but it's all pretty automatic.

Disk Utility is also included on your Mac, and from time to time (in my case about once ever 3-4 months) I run "repair permissions" on it.

The people who make OnyX also make a simpler utility (also free) called, cunningly, Maintenance. You might find that a bit friendlier to use -- I just keep it at the default settings and again run it about every quarter.

Every couple of years, I like to do what PC users would call a "serious defrag" -- I clone my entire hard drive to an external, check it to make sure it's bootable, then erase the original hard drive (low-level format), then clone back. I tell people this is akin to de-barnacling a boat -- it doesn't really change the boat itself that much, but it sure seems to sail smoother after its been done. :)

Reaction score
If there's an Apple Retail Store in SLC, I'd suggest visiting and signing up for their classes and one-on-one training. It will be a lot more help having someone right there to answer your questions than waiting for the slow back-and-forth of a forum (which, btw, doesn't email replies).
One-To-One is a great value and a great way for users to learn mac. However, One-To-One is only available to buyers of new mac computers at the time of purchase. There are no exceptions.

When One-To-One was first rolled out anybody could purchase the program for $99/year. The program was so successful and so many people were buying it that Apple couldn't keep up with the demand so the program was changed to require a purchase of a computer plus it can be renewed only twice.

The One-To-One program was another brilliant Apple innovation. It's the deal of the century to be sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Although this one was not one of my questions, I did think before I downloaded it if I would be able to understand much about what it does and how to use it without messing up my NEW MBP. When I was reading about the app., I was thinking to myself; "what the heck are they talking about? Will I know what that means or how to that on my notebook." I decided not to download it.

Thanks for the link.

You should do it! Only do what you understand, and ask questions here. You'll get answers. You're gonna need to push the envelope of your computer knowledge. Yes, you can!!! :)

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK Guys now come-on...

I have been going to the Apple Store for One-to-One classes about once a week. I start out wanting to cover a lot and we get going and do not get very far. I pretty much have to "lead" the class and the trainers seem like they like to take a break and not get in to teaching if they do not have to. Just the impression I got. There was a tragic thing that happened to my new MBP so most of the initial One-to-Ones were covering the problems that occurred with the initial transfer and then the complete reinstall of the OS. The MAC OS classes and workshops have pretty much taken backseat to the iPad classes because they have sold out everyday for the first 2 weeks of iPad sales. The manager told me they hope to start back up with the regular amount of MBP classes. I have to wait 3-4 weeks between my One-to-One before I can get in another class.

The workshops are great but they are few and far between too. It must have been timing of when I got the new MBP and when the iPad came out.

That is one of the reason why I shy from these forums. I get people who say some pretty mean stuff about the questions I ask. I thought this would be a good place to come and with all the learning I am trying to do, I will have a good grasp soon.

I put for Instant Notification on all these Posts and Replies, but I never got an email for the last 4. I just happened to stumble on one in the Trash and I clicked it and thought; "I never read this." I went online and sure enough there were several replies I had not read.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"google search bar"?

"registered to ask a few questions"?

"emails from replies"?

Okay, this tells me that you are really at a pretty novice level with your Mac. There's no shame in that, but you gotta crawl before you can walk. :)

Another option I'd suggest would be finding and joining your local Mac User Group. Usually comprised of people at various skill levels, most are very dedicated to helping users have a good experience.

As for maintenance, most people can get by with very simple, occasional maintenance. The first and most important thing by far is to regularly back up your data, at least your Home folder if not the entire drive. Time Machine is built into Mac OS X (Leopard and Snow Leopard) and needs an external hard drive to work, but it's all pretty automatic.

Disk Utility is also included on your Mac, and from time to time (in my case about once ever 3-4 months) I run "repair permissions" on it.

The people who make OnyX also make a simpler utility (also free) called, cunningly, Maintenance. You might find that a bit friendlier to use -- I just keep it at the default settings and again run it about every quarter.

Every couple of years, I like to do what PC users would call a "serious defrag" -- I clone my entire hard drive to an external, check it to make sure it's bootable, then erase the original hard drive (low-level format), then clone back. I tell people this is akin to de-barnacling a boat -- it doesn't really change the boat itself that much, but it sure seems to sail smoother after its been done. :)
yes if you want an explanation about what you put as "unbelievable statements" (by your use of punctuation) I will take the time to explain what I meant by "registered to ask a few questions" and the other 2 you listed.

The maint. that you stated sounds like something that I would like to do but that for sure is over my head. Things that run smoother is something that I aim for.

Adios

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The maint. that you (chas_m) stated sounds like something that I would like to do but that for sure is over my head.

Most of what was suggested is not difficult. You're just unfamiliar with the procedures. Once you've tried each suggestion, if you have questions, we can help you through it.

Reaction score
I pretty much have to "lead" the class and the trainers seem like they like to take a break and not get in to teaching if they do not have to.
Actually that is a fair statement. Most of the trainers know their stuff but sometimes I think they do get a little bored. You have to go to your One-To-One session with an agenda, i.e. the things you want to cover.

If you learn how to use your portal when you sign into One-To-One you'll be able to keep track of what you've covered and what you still want to cover. It's pretty cool. You can check off the main areas you have discussed and there are suggestions for future sessions -- by category.

Can't expect these trainiers to be mind readers but if you know what you wnat to learn generally speaking you'll get plenty and maybe even too much information. And if you're new to mac be sure to take notes. This stuff can be overwhelming sometimes and if you cover too much in a single session the tendency is to forget something and get frustrated once you get home. JMO.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
toMACsh-

I went to my One-to-One today and when the guy sat down I thought; "oh man, here we go again." I said you seem tired. Well, I just finished a 3 hour projects class and I am tired. He kept yawning throughout our time. I felt bad for him, but I am hoping I will get an awake, rested trainer soon because I do have a lot of questions.

this guy today he tried, but he was just wiped. I was trying to get 2 CDs both have 2 discs per CD into one CD. Meaning the CDs that have 2 discs, I wanted to get them in iTunes to show up as one CD and not 2 CDs. I had stayed up late last night working on it because I thought I had some help but it was not working for these CDs.

I thought the guy today at my One-to-One would be able to help since he is a music fanatic. He said he has done some of those but could not figure out why my 2 double disc CDs would not merge into one CD. I think it has to do with renumbering the tracks.

But I appreciate your encouragement. The second I got done with the One-to-One, I made another appointment and the soonest they had an opening was June 28th. the iPad classes have taken over.

I did get the Verizon MiFi2200 set-up today on my own which was a big deal. I was confused a couple of times but I was able to figure it out. that was cool and the MiFi device is cool too.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The second I got done with the One-to-One, I made another appointment ...

Good for you! The best things you have going for you will serve you well: your persistence and your patience. (A sense of humor is always good too!) :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.