My MBP and Logitech mouse

Reaction score
Recently something odd's been happening. Occasionally the cursor would "lock" onto a graphic. "Grab it". I'd have to press the spacebar to get the mouse cursor to release the graphic (jpg). Other times it would auto go into "highlight mode"...where the tip of the cursor would for a rectangle or square depending on where you dragged the mouse. Again, I would have to press the spacebar to release. What's happening here? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
My Logitech tracball has a little button on it that I think has an image of padlock on it. It is used to grab and hold as you described. Perhaps yours has something similar? Have you installed the Logitech preference app? What model mouse is it?

OP
D
Reaction score
My Logitech tracball has a little button on it that I think has an image of padlock on it. It is used to grab and hold as you described. Perhaps yours has something similar? Have you installed the Logitech preference app? What model mouse is it?

Hello Dakiney,

The mouse I have is the VX (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/mice_pointers/mice/devices/165&cl=ca,en). And I don't see a padlock icon on it anywhere. Just a magnifying glass one under the scroll wheel. Zoom buttons on the left. And "back" "forward" buttons for when using the browser.

"Preference app"? I'm guessing that came with the mouse. I did install a Logitech app. The Control Center app. I assume this isn't what you're talking about. Allows you to config the buttons.

Strange. This didn't start happening till recently. Have had this mouse for roughly a year. Well 10 months. I mean it would happen as I began using it. From a cold start. Though has happened suddenly as I had been online for over an hour.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, OS X 10.8.2, iPad 1, 80gb iPod, ATV 1, iPhone 5
Yes the Control Center. My stuff is so old, I had it before switching, I'm not sure if it came with it, so I download it from Logitech. I would bet that if you tried you could probably replicate what is happening, one of the buttons on the mouse may be confused. I would start by installing the control center. Once that is installed you can find it by going to the Apple Menu, Preferences then the control center is on the bottom.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes the Control Center. My stuff is so old, I had it before switching, I'm not sure if it came with it, so I download it from Logitech. I would bet that if you tried you could probably replicate what is happening, one of the buttons on the mouse may be confused. I would start by installing the control center. Once that is installed you can find it by going to the Apple Menu, Preferences then the control center is on the bottom.

I have that installed. Don't think that's it any more. I think it has something to do with the sensitivity of the touch pad area (to the left and right of the touchpad..where your wrists rest). As it just happened again as I was typing a reply to another forum thread. Suddenly the cursor had highlighted an area of text. Nothing would remove this. Pressing Esc or the space bar. Had to press the touch pad's bar to turn off the highlighting.

Periodically, when I use the touch pad, the cursor would just stop. Not often but once in a while. It would just not move no matter where I moved my finger on the touch pad. Then I'd regain control again. My touch pad has to be replaced. And I better do it soon before the warranty is out in July. :) Or I'm going to be footing the bill.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there you go. The touch pad can select text or grab objects. To grab a window or image it is almost like double clicking but on the second tap leave your finger down and move it around. To release tap again. same action to select text.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.