Sleep mode??

Reaction score
How do I know if my MB is on sleep? Today I thought I put it on sleep, I pressed the power button and hit sleep, and than closed the lid, however 2hrs later when I went to get my laptop bag, my MB was HOT! It was running. I was so worried because the temp. hit 70 degrees Celsius and the fan was only 2000 rpm?!?!

Also when I close my lid, I "thought" it went on sleep, but sometimes it doesn't? Can anyone clarify this for me please.

I tried to put it on sleep, and THAN closing the lid, but it turns back on? I have no idea if its on sleep because the fan is so quiet. I also see the light on the front right of the MB, but I'm not 100% sure it turns on when its on sleep mode. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Putting your MacBook to sleep and then placing it in a carry bag is NOT a good procedure to follow. If the machine wakes up while you're carrying it in the bag could cause it to overheat and even damage the hard drive if it should spin up. Shut it down completely before placing it in the carry bag.

You can tell if the machine is sleeping by the light in the front. The light will "pulse" when the machine is sleeping. If it's on steady, the machine is not sleeping.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.1GHz, 4Gb RAM, 120Gb white
I always just close the lid to put it in sleep and carry it about, i suppose i should stop doing that if it can cause such problems.

good thing this post came about or i would have never known!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook: 2.4 ghz dual core 4gb Ram 250gb Hdd
Putting your MacBook to sleep and then placing it in a carry bag is NOT a good procedure to follow. If the machine wakes up while you're carrying it in the bag could cause it to overheat and even damage the hard drive if it should spin up. Shut it down completely before placing it in the carry bag.

You can tell if the machine is sleeping by the light in the front. The light will "pulse" when the machine is sleeping. If it's on steady, the machine is not sleeping.

Regards.

I thought the whole point of that was that machine was asleep so you get an instant on?

Apple designed with this in mind so when you close the lid it takes an image of the ram and then powers everything down. It also parks the drive heads if I remember rightly. Realistically how difficult is it to get a mac to wake while carrying it. Mine has gone everywhere with me for the last three months and have had nothing like that happen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There is no reason why a sleeping MacBook should wake up if its closed and packed safely in a properly fitted, padded bag or case.

If you just throw it in a backpack or messenger bag, then yes, it could be jolted open and wake up, but it could also suffer all sorts of physical damage even if it were off. So don't do that! Get a real laptop bag.

Yup, that's how you tell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.