adobe to make nice with apple--what does this mean for ipad?

Reaction score
apparently, adobe will be doing something to code internet flash to make it work on apple's systems, or there will be some kind of alternative plug in that works with apple---can anyone here shed some light on this?

What does this mean practically speaking for ipad 1 users? Does anyone here know how the work around works?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What does this mean practically speaking for ipad 1 users? Does anyone here know how the work around works?

Whatever it eventually is or will be...it will be compatible with iPad 1's. If something becomes available...it will be a software update.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
If flash did eventually come to Apple iOS products, that would be one less thing [of the already dwindled list] of things Android can supposedly do better.

I assume if it's something Apple allows, you can only assume that it will be of a high standard.

OP
S
Reaction score
yes, but I want to know if the flash should work automatically, or if a third program is needed to make it compatable--perhaps the story isnt as well known as I assumed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 17" MBP |core i7 2.66|4gb ddr3|500gb 7200rpm|snow leopard|
Well only time will tell. Baby steps, Adobe, bay steps.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
If flash did eventually come to Apple iOS products,...

yes, but I want to know if the flash should work automatically, or if a third program is needed to make it compatable--perhaps the story isnt as well known as I assumed.

Flash isn't coming to Apple IOS devices - Adobe is just releasing a tool that will make it easier for developers to convert flash to HTML 5. Wallaby | Adobe Flash FLA to HTML - Adobe Labs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Flash isn't coming to Apple devices - Adobe is just releasing a tool that will make it easier for developers to convert flash to HTML 5. Wallaby | Adobe Flash FLA to HTML - Adobe Labs

Lol.. which is by all accounts IMESHO, admitting failure and defeat, and looking towards the inevitable day when FLASH will cease to exist as it does today. See now this, I do not mind. If it helps us all get to a point where we don't have to rely on third party plug ins, and open standards will be pushed more, then that's awesome.

I only hope that this tool they're releasing isn't going to be some kind of automated thing which makes these devs lazy to the point of where they don't check their code to make sure it will play well.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
There are already flash solustions out there if you want it. Some browser apps offer server-side flash conversion so the flash on a website appears in your browser just like it would if your iPad was doing the work, but it's better since your system isn't doing the work and suffering the resource losses. I can't remember the name offhand, but a quick Google search should find them. It'll be one of the first apps I load onto my iPad just for Hulu viewing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
I can't remember the name offhand, but a quick Google search should find them. It'll be one of the first apps I load onto my iPad just for Hulu viewing.

The app is skyfire...and the video it renders is pretty awful. Very choppy even with a fast connection. Almost unwatchable.

Reaction score
Yup skyfire sucks. When it does work it's not very well. Btw Hulu doesnt work with skyfire

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Another is CloudBrowse. It does ok on some. But, you're not going to get hulu on it as the proxy is not in the U.S.

Bottomline, you want hulu on the iPad, as far as I know, you're going to have to belly up to the bar with huluplus.

Reaction score
I would have no problem with hulu+ but if you look at what's available for mobile devices and tvs it's pretty limited.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I downloaded Wallaby and some sample Flash files from Adobe's website and they didn't seem to convert. The error I initially got was "FLA File Version Not Supported." I did some research and found that as of right now, it only supports Flash CS5 files. So, I downloaded some Flash CS5 sample files from Adobe's website and those didn't work either. I got the same errors as before which was frustrating. If I ever get it to work, I'll report back about what it's like.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.