How do I delete files from my external hardrive?

Reaction score
Hello,

I just recently bought a macbook pro and from my old laptop I put all my files onto a Western Digital External Hardrive to transfer over to my new macbook.

Once I was done transferring files, I wanted to delete them from my external hardrive but it won't let me. I can't even move them to the trash on the computer; it just doesn't let me delete them.

When I right click (two tap) on the computer, there is no option to delete either.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'd really appreciate it! :)

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hello,

I just recently bought a macbook pro and from my old laptop I put all my files onto a Western Digital External Hardrive to transfer over to my new macbook.

Once I was done transferring files, I wanted to delete them from my external hardrive but it won't let me. I can't even move them to the trash on the computer; it just doesn't let me delete them.

When I right click (two tap) on the computer, there is no option to delete either.

Can anyone help me with this issue? I'd really appreciate it! :)
Open up Disk Utility and format the drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.