2007 Macbook starts to boot, then black screen?

Reaction score
So i have a 2007 Macbook that i had this problem with about a year ago and now have actually started to take action to fix, but here it is.
I was using the computer on a daily basis and it always worked fine, then randomly one day it shut down. i figured the battery had died, so i let it charge for a few hours then went to turn it back on. I heard the HDD spin, and watched the screen turn on and heard the boot noise, gray screen with the apple and little spinning thing, then the screen goes black.
I tried multiple times, let it charge for nearly 24 hours straight to make sure it couldn't be battery, then let it sit. I picked it up yesterday and let it charge and tried to see if it would randomly start up, same issue. Pulled battery and re-seated RAM, tried a different battery, still nothing.
If I hold the Power button down for longer, the little sleep light flashes repeatedly very fast, then the computer holds a beep at me for a couple seconds then it starts to boot again, but same black screen after a few seconds. I cant find anything on this issue, does anybody here have any tips before i bring it to an Apple store? Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So i have a 2007 Macbook that i had this problem with about a year ago and now have actually started to take action to fix...

Well...better late than never I always say!;)

I was using the computer on a daily basis and it always worked fine, then randomly one day it shut down.

This is usually the way things work. They work fine until they break. Many times there are no warning signs (especially with electronics).

I heard the HDD spin, and watched the screen turn on and heard the boot noise, gray screen with the apple and little spinning thing, then the screen goes black.

The display, the display inverter, or a long shot...the display cable have gone bad. The only way to confirm this is...take to an Apple Store (but they will probably charge you $50-$100 to test it)...or they might do it for free if they are nice!:)

The other way is to purchase a good working replacement part (new or used)...replace the bad part...then see if the computer works.

- Nick

OP
K
Reaction score
The display, the display inverter, or a long shot...the display cable have gone bad. The only way to confirm this is...take to an Apple Store (but they will probably charge you $50-$100 to test it)...or they might do it for free if they are nice!:)

The other way is to purchase a good working replacement part (new or used)...replace the bad part...then see if the computer works.

- Nick

Thanks, i have a friend that works at an apple store by me so i can talk to her and have her check it out, if that's all that's wrong with it that would be nice, i was worried something really bad could've for sure put it out of commission but thats not too bad.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks, i have a friend that works at an apple store by me so i can talk to her and have her check it out, if that's all that's wrong with it that would be nice, i was worried something really bad could've for sure put it out of commission but thats not too bad.

If you have an external monitor...you can plug that into the MacBooks video out port...and operate it in "clamshell" mode:

Apple Portables: How to use your computer in closed clamshell (display closed) mode with an external display

If the MacBook operates normally in "Clamshell Mode"...then the troubles are probably confined to the display. But...this can still be an expensive repair...depending who does the work.

So if the computer works fine in clamshell mode...it still isn't time to start "dancing" in relief!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.