Superdrive unrecognized?

Reaction score
Hello All -

I've been having extremely slow performance from my superdrive. Even copying 700 MB direct to HD took over 20 minutes and iTunes imports are maxed out at 4x. After spending 40 minutes on the phone with Apple, they told me the MBP isn't recognizing the superdrive. Disk utilities won't show the superdrive unless a CD/DVD is inserted and diagnostics can't run (buttons greyed out). As soon as disc is ejected, superdrive goes away in Disk Utility. Are there any software fixes to this? I tried going into the Apple store, but of course, no more appointments for who knows how long. I'm in a very populated area with an extremely busy schedule, so I was hoping to find a fix on my own. (Besides, I hate the idea of someone holding my computer hostage for more than 10 minutes).

Thanks,
teb1034

Reaction score
Try starting from the install DVD and running the diagnostics from there. Also you could reset the PRAM/NVRAM and PMU and see if the SuperDrive is recognised then. Make sure you backup your important data/files.

OP
T
Reaction score
Try starting from the install DVD and running the diagnostics from there. Also you could reset the PRAM/NVRAM and PMU and see if the SuperDrive is recognised then. Make sure you backup your important data/files.

I'm pretty new to Macs. How do I reset PRAM/NVRAM and PMU? In fact, I have no idea what these acronyms are. Also, why would I need to backup? Will resetting these things mess with files?

And regarding the diagnostics - I did this a few weeks ago and no mention of anything wrong (or right, for that matter) with the superdrive.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.