Apple TV to be updated?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Meh, if they were disappearing from Apple stores I'd be more likely to believe it. I'm really waiting for the actual TV made by Apple, nit an updated ATV.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
I like my ATV2 (well at least since I got a correctly fitting HDMI lead to make it work). If Apple launch a new model it will be very disappointing. So many people jailbreak them that perhaps they realise that they are missing a trick.
I'm not sure what the proposed TV made by Apple is going to bring to my viewing experience, do you know what features it will have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I like my ATV2 (well at least since I got a correctly fitting HDMI lead to make it work). If Apple launch a new model it will be very disappointing. So many people jailbreak them that perhaps they realise that they are missing a trick.
I'm not sure what the proposed TV made by Apple is going to bring to my viewing experience, do you know what features it will have?

It's still kind of sketchy but it was the last thing Jobs was actually working on. Supposedly they are working with the content providers directly to allow you to subscribe to content on a channel by channel basis vice a "package deal" kind of thing that you normally get. It wouldn't be an ATV upodate, it would be a TV mad by Apple, but weather it would replace the current ATV or not is open for debate.

We'll see what happens.

If the ATV 2 is just being updated I'd like to seem them enable iTunes to play/stream different video/audio formats and not just M4P/ACC and M4V etc.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
It's still kind of sketchy but it was the last thing Jobs was actually working on. Supposedly they are working with the content providers directly to allow you to subscribe to content on a channel by channel basis vice a "package deal" kind of thing that you normally get. It wouldn't be an ATV upodate, it would be a TV mad by Apple, but weather it would replace the current ATV or not is open for debate.

We'll see what happens.

If the ATV 2 is just being updated I'd like to seem them enable iTunes to play/stream different video/audio formats and not just M4P/ACC and M4V etc.

If it will let me subscribe to Foodnetwork, HGTV and CNN I'll buy one!

Those three channels represent 99% of my TV viewing. Oh, and they will either need to build in a DVR or make all the programming available on demand.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
25" iMac 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo iPhone 4
Just my opinion, but they can't possibly put out a new "real" Apple TV until sometime in 2013 if they are just now testing the sets. Besides, I don't think there are going to be enough users updating their TVs on a frequent basis to warrant a physical TV and the enormous price they will surely have to charge. There's just not the built in obsolescence you need or a market for used TVs.

If you're talking about ATV3 boxes, they sold 1.4 million ATV boxes in the Dec. quarter alone. This is a box with a chip that is basically 2 generations behind and only capable of 720(when their rivals have 1080p), yet people are still buying them. If they added apps, 1080p and an A6 chip, I think these things would fly off the shelves. I personally will buy two and keep updating them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you're talking about ATV3 boxes, they sold 1.4 million ATV boxes in the Dec. quarter alone. This is a box with a chip that is basically 2 generations behind and only capable of 720(when their rivals have 1080p), yet people are still buying them. If they added apps, 1080p and an A6 chip, I think these things would fly off the shelves. I personally will buy two and keep updating them.

Agreed, although I'm not overly concerned about the A6 chip. 1080P sounds nice but I'm really not sure it will make that big of a difference in my ATV viewing experience (IMO). 720 looks fine to me even when I'm ripping DVDs at high quality, I guess it might be nice for streaming HD, but that's not something I do a lot of. Apps would be nice but then it needs an input device that would allow you to use the apps in a meaningful way (the ATV remote just isn't going to cut it). Would be a cool use for an iPhone, iPod or iPad though!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well there is certainly food for thought here.

An ATV3 would be nice with the features you discuss. It's such an easy and cost effective way of spreading audio/video/web content around the home. Personally I think Apple have underpriced it compared with the rest of their product stack and that this and similar boxes will become the preferred method for most people, whilst an Apple TV will be an exclusive product with a luxurious price to match.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
I will be disappointed if they bring out another 'new' dock instead of updated firmware....whilst i acknowledge it is reasonably cheap compared to other Apple products, it is still circa 100 quid....

of course you are not obliged to upgrade, but suspect Apple will 'bank' on us doing it for the sake of owning the most up to date product...

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Give me local storage and the ability to attach external drives, and I'm all over the Apple TV. until then, no.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Give me local storage and the ability to attach external drives, and I'm all over the Apple TV. until then, no.

Jailbreak the AppleTV - install XBMC - NAS drive - all content available to everyone in the house.

Fantastic little box.

I can AppleTV3 being launched at the same time as the iPad3 and maybe 1080 content on iTunes.

Makes sense for the ATV to support higher resolutions too given the Mac based airplay function in Mountain Lion.

I am, however, very skeptical that Apple would release a full blown TV. I can't see where the profit is? Maybe a deal with TV manufacturers to build in AppleTV functionality rather than them having to build bespoke 'smart TV' solutions?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
Jailbreak the AppleTV - install XBMC - NAS drive - all content available to everyone in the house.

Not a massive fan of jailbreaking/XBMC. Also, I have appalling Wifi coverage (drops out consistently.) The router is too far away for a physical connection, so a NAS drive is of no use to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Not a massive fan of jailbreaking/XBMC. Also, I have appalling Wifi coverage (drops out consistently.) The router is too far away for a physical connection, so a NAS drive is of no use to me.

Then take a look at a Roku box. Apple are never going to allow external drives, same as NAS drives. Dilutes the revenue stream away from iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
isn't the Time Capsule an external drive?

just 'do' what the majority of people do with their DVD's (can't talk about it of course for fear of being dissolved) and pop through iTunes, onto TC and away you go...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Pretty much the most used piece of equipment I have at home is the SkyHD box and I think it is towards this end that Apple will drive the product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Go buy a couple of used ATV 1s and go to town....

I don't see apple going back to the "onboard storage" thing again, it's all about streaming. If your LAN connection sucks, well, I guess you're up the creek.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
isn't the Time Capsule an external drive?

just 'do' what the majority of people do with their DVD's (can't talk about it of course for fear of being dissolved) and pop through iTunes, onto TC and away you go...

It's network attached drive that he's discounted due to network performance issues.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.