Seagate GoFlex Software?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Just added a Seagate GoFlex Desk WireFire800 3TB drive to the menagerie ;)

Comes with its own app - Seagate GoFlex Software.

Anyone has any experience with this? I normally never install stuff that comes with hardware bits and pieces, as most of the time it is at best - unnecessary, and at worse :Lips-Are-Sealed: ...

However, this one claims to have some diagnostic component, that might be useful.

What I don't want to end up with is an intrusive low-level utility that will try to interfere with OS and Disk Utility in particular, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Don't bother with that software, and expect a short life span for that drive. I had an older model and it went belly up right after the warranty expired. Biggest problem I think these have is no active cooling. I'm convinced that any 3.5" drive running at 7200 rpm won't withstand extended activity unless there's a fan to keep its temperature down. It doesn't help that it's a Seagate, and Seagate's drives are pretty unreliable these days vs WD and Hitachi.

What you might want to do is use a SMART monitoring tool. These normally only work with internal drives, but there's an open source driver that enables SMART monitoring on some externals.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Thanks, just what I suspected re: software, bit disappointing to learn about Seagate quality - I have to stop thinking in mid-90s reliability matrix ...

With regards to heat dissipation - I was rather surprised, by the minuscule clearance at the bottom of the box, and you've just confirm it - that can't be good for a [fast] spinning HD.

Anyway it's just a cheap interim drive, needed purely for logistical reasons, and unlikely to be in use beyond six to nine month time, so should be alright, hopefully. In fact, this is probably the last HD I bought - time to move, gradually, to no-moving-parts storage.

I'll get the SMART monitoring, as you suggested, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks, just what I suspected re: software, bit disappointing to learn about Seagate quality - I have to stop thinking in mid-90s reliability matrix ...

With regards to heat dissipation - I was rather surprised, by the minuscule clearance at the bottom of the box, and you've just confirm it - that can't be good for a [fast] spinning HD.

Anyway it's just a cheap interim drive, needed purely for logistical reasons, and unlikely to be in use beyond six to nine month time, so should be alright, hopefully. In fact, this is probably the last HD I bought - time to move, gradually, to no-moving-parts storage.

I'll get the SMART monitoring, as you suggested, thanks.

No prob. If you don't have a SMART monitoring tool, my personal preference today is DriveDx. SMARTReporter is a lot cheaper and very popular also.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
my personal preference today is DriveDx. SMARTReporter is a lot cheaper and very popular also.

Thanks again. Tried both and you're absolutely right - DriveDx is by far a superior choice, so went with it. :D With four drives connected directly to this machine, plus two inside it, paying under £2 per drive to monitor, is a bargain! And the way DriveDx dealt with enabling SMART for the three USB and one FireWIre drives is brilliant, very impressed.

So far the GoFlex is reported as 100% healthy, although it gets hotter, than 40ºC. The Seagate warranty is till 2017, which is more than I need - I can certainly leave with that.
Therefore, I decided to keep it :Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.