How to use Time Machine?

Reaction score
I currently have a new Macbook Air.

I backup the harddrive with Time Machine onto a external hard drive.

The Macbook needs to be returned for warranty for a couple reasons...

- the screen is showing scratches from the aluminum touching the glass when it is closed
- and the speakers are blown after just one weeks use

So before I return the Computer and exchange it for another, Im wondering how I go about utilizing Time Machine.

I am under the impression that Time Machine saves everything (my files, my settings, programs and apps, iTunes preferences/playlists my dock preferences, even my desktop background, etc) and that I will be able to plug the external hard drive into the new Macbook Air and it will restore everything to my new computer.

My questions are this:

1. Do I understand Time Machine in that it will save and restore EVERYTHING to my new Macbook Air?

2. How do I do it?

Thankyou.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Yes Time Machine backups up everything, unless you've deliberately gone into the preferences and excluded things.

When you get your new Mac the setup assistant will prompt you to setup the Mac afresh or to restore from an existing Time Machine backup.

OP
Luther Mac
Reaction score
Yes Time Machine backups up everything, unless you've deliberately gone into the preferences and excluded things.

When you get your new Mac the setup assistant will prompt you to setup the Mac afresh or to restore from an existing Time Machine backup.

Thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.