Undeletable files in Trash

Reaction score
I have a strange problem, its not too important but it is bugging me. Sitting in my trash folder are 3 files with no file extensions that look like this:
undeletable%20files.jpg

The info tab gives this for each of them:
undeletable%20files%20info.jpg

I have tried everything to delete them but nothing works. I tried using the command line force delete, option-delete, shift-option delete, rebooting, force deleting trash applications, everything and they wont move. The computer acts perfectly normal, nothing visibly altered except that I now cannot send files off external drives to the trash. Any help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Those files may have been deleted from an external drive while it was attached. If the drive is no longer attached, they can't be deleted because the association does not exist when the drive is not mounted. Don't know for sure if that's why, but worth a try.....

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
If it's not caused by an external drive as chscag noted, you can get rid of those files using the following method:

1. Open up Terminal (/Applictions/Utilities)
2. Enter the following exactly:
Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
3. Press enter, type in your password (you won't see anything come up when you type) and press enter again.

Presto!

OP
C
Reaction score
Those files may have been deleted from an external drive while it was attached. If the drive is no longer attached, they can't be deleted because the association does not exist when the drive is not mounted. Don't know for sure if that's why, but worth a try.....
The thing is I only ever use 1 externa drive with my mac and its the one you see plugged in labelled 'NICK' in the image.

If it's not caused by an external drive as chscag noted, you can get rid of those files using the following method:

Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*
3. Press enter, type in your password (you won't see anything come up when you type) and press enter again.

Presto!
Tried using this and it doesn't seem to work.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The command will delete anything and everything in the Trash folder. If it doesn't work, something is creating those files. Have you rebooted recently? It seems like a simple solution but it might help to kill any process creating those files and it will refresh Finder at the same time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
vansmith - I think it's far more likely the OP just typed it wrong!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Do you use bootcamp?

Reaction score
I have similar problem but your solution didn't work.

Code:
sudo rm -rf ~/.Trash/*

Presto!

Copied your instruction and pasted into terminal. "Command not found" mind you, my question was very similar to the one you answered:

<Will unlocking them help-if so how do you unlock? I can open with Text edit but due to years of caution when not knowing what I'm doing causes more problems I ask before doing things-grin (Suppose it shouldn't matter since all I want to do is trash them????)

The file in particular is the boot file boot.efi. Trash basket is still full presumable until I can delete. >
My external drive was never disconnected.

OP
C
Reaction score
The command will delete anything and everything in the Trash folder. If it doesn't work, something is creating those files. Have you rebooted recently? It seems like a simple solution but it might help to kill any process creating those files and it will refresh Finder at the same time.
I rebooted and intially they disappeared but then without noticing when they reappeared.

vansmith - I think it's far more likely the OP just typed it wrong!
No i made sure i didnt type it wrong.

Do you use bootcamp?
Nope.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.