• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

iMac with TV functionality seen as stepping stone to Apple television

Reaction score
iMac with TV functionality seen as stepping stone to Apple television

Apple's first step toward building a full-fledged television set could be an all-in-one iMac with built in TV functionality, one analyst believes.
mf.gif

Read more

Reaction score
There would have to be an app, whether it be available in the MAS or as part of a software update...I don't see it happening for the iMac.

Reaction score
Siri could have been an app for the iPhone 4 too. :)

Yes, it could've, but Siri is in Beta, and thusly stuck on iPhone 4S.

If Apple goes this route, we're talking a desktop computer with TV functionality - and thusly an application, which, since we're talking about an iMac here, it runs Mac OS X - which also runs on other Mac hardware - it wouldn't make sense to introduce an iMac with TV functionality and only functionality, because then it wouldn't be an iMac - it would be an TV with a built in screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I'd be happy if my 27" iMac could play Blu-Ray disc's.

Tom

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know
I've had an imac tv for years with my Elgato EyeTV tuner. Pretty cool watching tv in one of the windows I have up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I do not know about an iMac with TV capability. Apple would just simply need to release an Apple TV app for OS X.

As far as a full fledged Apple television - look for 55" TV with higher resolution than 1080p. Something like a Magic Trackpad would be the remote. Different gestures would perform different functions (two fingers up increases volume, two fingers down decreases volume, two fingers left or right to channel surf).

I also imagine the possibility of watching more than one show at once (think sports broadcasts). Up to 4 shows displayed at once, one in each quadrant. If you want to watch the show in the upper-left quadrant, three-finger tap on the magic trackpad's upper-left quadrant to zoom in. Pinch the trackpad to send it back.

Apple has all the pieces necessary to create a phenomenal high-end TV. I do not think it would be out of the realm of possibility that Apple purchases Hulu. If that happens, "Apple TV" would become a major "network." Hulu already has exclusive content. With an Apple brand, big production houses would be more likely to produce high quality shows exclusive on the Apple Channel.

My peering into the future has made me grown tiresome. I must now rest....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
As far as a full fledged Apple television - look for 55" TV with higher resolution than 1080p. Something like a Magic Trackpad would be the remote. Different gestures would perform different functions (two fingers up increases volume, two fingers down decreases volume, two fingers left or right to channel surf)

I see them selling the thing in multiple sizes. 55", while fantastic, is just to large for some living rooms. I would hazard a guess at 37", 42", and 50" options. And "higher resolution than 1080p just isn't going to happen. Nobody is creating higher resolution content.

The trackpad remote idea is spot on, but you're missing something big. NUMBERS. The remote could be something like an iPod touch with one heck of a lot less functionality. Touchscreen and little else. The home button could bring up the "guide" for scrolling through channels, etc. I think thats what Jobs may have been on about when he mentioned "cracking it" when he was complaining about the UI of a TV. My current remote (Logitech Harmony ONE) has over thirty buttons and a touch screen. Getting a bit ridiculous, mostly because I use the number pad, and the up/down buttons for channels and volume. Everything else is there to make the thing look good I guess. The iTV remote really needs the ability to scroll through menus with inertia based scrolling, combined with the ability to bring up a number pad on it's surface as well. Have that, and then the touchscreen sliders for volume.

The current Apple remote is delightfully simple (and cheap as **** to make, so great for margins), but lacks the number pad that's really necessary to get though most cable companies channel options. I think for a full fledged iTV it's short on the "magic" that seems to be a selling point of Apple products these days. An iRemote that looked like an iPod touch would be a great selling point. (not to pass up the fact that having a remote which would cost $200 to replace wouldn't be a bad thing for Apple)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Which one?
I see them selling the thing in multiple sizes. 55", while fantastic, is just to large for some living rooms. I would hazard a guess at 37", 42", and 50" options. And "higher resolution than 1080p just isn't going to happen. Nobody is creating higher resolution content.

The trackpad remote idea is spot on, but you're missing something big. NUMBERS. The remote could be something like an iPod touch with one heck of a lot less functionality. Touchscreen and little else. The home button could bring up the "guide" for scrolling through channels, etc. I think thats what Jobs may have been on about when he mentioned "cracking it" when he was complaining about the UI of a TV. My current remote (Logitech Harmony ONE) has over thirty buttons and a touch screen. Getting a bit ridiculous, mostly because I use the number pad, and the up/down buttons for channels and volume. Everything else is there to make the thing look good I guess. The iTV remote really needs the ability to scroll through menus with inertia based scrolling, combined with the ability to bring up a number pad on it's surface as well. Have that, and then the touchscreen sliders for volume.

The current Apple remote is delightfully simple (and cheap as **** to make, so great for margins), but lacks the number pad that's really necessary to get though most cable companies channel options. I think for a full fledged iTV it's short on the "magic" that seems to be a selling point of Apple products these days. An iRemote that looked like an iPod touch would be a great selling point. (not to pass up the fact that having a remote which would cost $200 to replace wouldn't be a bad thing for Apple)

Good points. Each one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
It can if you add an external Blue Ray player. Take a look at what Other World Computing has for the Mac.

I have, but since I bought into the clean "minimalist" look Apple has so carefully crafted/cultivated/marketed I would prefer the SmartDrive to play Blu-Ray disc;s, same with a TV Tuner, it should be integral to the iMac as opposed to a desktop cluttered with various manufactures components.

I'm replacing my BIG bulky wooden computer desk with a modern glass/chrome set-up as I'm really into the clean modern and uncluttered look. Apple could get me to replace my year old iMac with a new one if it did everything I want it to do - be a media center in my small home office/den.

Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MB Air Core i7 256GB, 2011 Mini with 8GB RAM, iPad 2, iPhone 4S, 2TB Time Capsule
I honestly thing that Apple is just going to do their best to drive out physical media. They may have sold more copies of Lion if they put it on a disc, but they chose to release in the App Store and via the USB drives instead.

We could see the next generation SuperDrive including Blu-Ray support, but I will admit that if I had to wager on it, I would be betting the other way.

Yog

Reaction score
I'd be happy if my 27" iMac could play Blu-Ray disc's.

Tom

I'd be happy if my iMac could be thinner, less bezel, better graphics, cheaper and higher capacity of SSDs, say 1TB or 2TB would be a dream come true these days.

I would probably be least interested in BD drives on Mac as don't watch movies/blu-rays on Mac, i have 60" TV and 110" projector screen for that purpose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
I've had an imac tv for years with my Elgato EyeTV tuner. Pretty cool watching tv in one of the windows I have up.

Me too. Works really well, with the option of full screen or windowed :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.