• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

eBay question

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
So, I had an item up for auction on eBay (a PC graphics card) and it's the first auction I've put up in ages. Within a few hours of posting it, someone snatched it up using "Buy It Now".

Anyway, the guy hasn't paid for it (I thought it was customary to send a payment immediately after doing BIN). I've sent him an invoice, to which he didn't respond.

Am I to assume this guy is playing games, or is it customary to wait a certain amount of time for a response?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
Did you list in your auction that payment is needed right after buying?

If not, looks like 4 days is the customary waiting period before filing a dispute.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you list in your auction that payment is needed right after buying?

No, I didn't. I always thought that BIN meant that you were "buying it now", not putting it on layaway ;)

If not, looks like 4 days is the customary waiting period before filing a dispute.

Cool beans, that's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.

I just found it curious that this dude snapped it up instantly (the auction was online for less than 2-3 hours and had very few hits) and then let's it sit there with absolutely no response. If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
No, I didn't. I always thought that BIN meant that you were "buying it now", not putting it on layaway ;)

I just found it curious that this dude snapped it up instantly (the auction was online for less than 2-3 hours and had very few hits) and then let's it sit there with absolutely no response. If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.

I hate it when this happens, which is what made me add the requirement for buyers to pay right away. IMO, if you use buy-it-now, you should do that if you have the money available.

I would give him 3 days after auction ending. If they don't pay, or respond to your invoices, report them to ebay.

I've gotten real tired of the dead beats on ebay. I'll cancel someones transaction, even if they are the winner, if I smell something fishy, and send second chances to anyone else that was interested.
Enough of my ranting. Hope he pays you soon!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
There's a setting that can require instand PayPal payment when they use BIN on eBay...I always have that on.

But yeah, 4 days is the avg wait time. But eBay's reporting process requires a certain amount of time before it will even let you file a report.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's a setting that can require instand PayPal payment when they use BIN on eBay...I always have that on.

But yeah, 4 days is the avg wait time. But eBay's reporting process requires a certain amount of time before it will even let you file a report.

I used iSale5 to generate the auction. Thought I had gone through all of the settings - perhaps it just doesn't support that function. Bummer.

Anyway, live and learn I suppose. I'll let you all know how I make out.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I remember way back when I first started using ebay it was 3 days. 4 days makes sense.

I guess I am more thoughtful than some buyers on Ebay. If I click on someone's Buy It Now, I have the $$$ in Pay Pal or my bank and instantly transfer it to them. Why make them wait? And besides, when I bid on something, I want it and want it to get here ASAP. I won't even bid on anything unless I am ready to pay at the end of the auction.

Keep us posted CWA. If you hear nothing in 4 days, he might be a flake.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
What does the guy's feedback rating look like?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What does the guy's feedback rating look like?

That is a very good question. If he has done a lot of buying and no one has complained, you are probably safe. I read a few of the feedback comments usually on a user I am dealing with to see if there is any kind of pattern.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
CWA...sounds like you already got plenty of great answers. I would echo the same thing as already mentioned. Give the buyer a couple/few days to pay for their item. If this buyer has a decent amount of feedback (more than 50-100)...I would think that they would pay fairly quickly.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
If he'd have just replied back with something like "thanks, I'll send payment as soon as I get a chance", I would have felt a little more comfortable.

Non-communicativeness is my biggest pet peeve ;D It truly amazes me how many people simply don't communicate . . . or wait until the last minute to do so.

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, he has 400+, so I think he's ok.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully a high positive rating as well.:)

- Nick

In the many years, 13 I think, I have been on Ebay I was only ripped off one time. A Bearcat police scanner radio. Dood took a pic of the model I wanted but shipped an old and beat up lesser model. Did so from his university dorm using using their email. When it arrived I wrote the dood, said either he made it right or I would go to the dean of his university and cause a ruckus.

He wrote back begging me not to turn him in and saying what do you want. I said my money back and the old scanner. He sent me the $$$ and HE quit Ebay! That was the only one so far that tried to rip me off. I am usually very careful but that one he has great feedback so I trusted him.

Again do keep us posted CWA! I am sure all will be fine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
In the many years, 13 I think, I have been on Ebay I was only ripped off one time.

For me...I guess it depends on how you define being ripped off. I've been an e-Bay member for I think 10 years...with about 125+ feedback (100% Positive)...and I've had about 5-7 transactions (buying & selling) that didn't go 100% as planned. This includes:

- sold a car (same car twice)...two different non-paying bidders!!!
- sold a Mac OS 10.5 Install disk...buyer said it didn't work (yes it did I tested it before shipping)...Paypal said refund the buyer...never got the disk back!!!
- sold front forks for a motorcycle...non-paying bidder
- bought a used Dell 1705 17" laptop computer...it didn't have the higher-end specs that it was advertised as having (only had basic specs)...worked out a price adjustment with the seller...but I would have preferred the better specs.
- bought two Airport cards...only received one!
- bought what was supposed to be a 17" Apple LCD monitor...when it came it was only a 15". Made price adjustment with the seller...would have preferred the 17" monitor.

I think that there are a couple more "bad" ones as well that I cannot remember. Even with these "negative" experiences (out of 147 total e-Bay transactions)...I would still use e-Bay.:) These "down-side" transactions have just made me much more careful when "e-Baying"!;)

- Nick

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, I suppose my concerns were unfounded. He paid for my item on Monday, shipped on Tuesday and it should be in his hands today (as near as I can tell). Just thought you'd all like an update.

Thanks for all the tips and pointers.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CWA, I would do the same thing you did and start to worry.

I am just glad it did work out and you got your $$$ and it all ended well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
There has been some very good advice given already on this thread, especially the bit about requiring an instant Paypal payment on a Buy Now.
But that can cause problems as well. In fact, being totally honest, I can't think of a single action that a seller can take that the buyer can't turn into a problem.
For example, what if you list a computer desk or something else of that size and weight? You obviously don't want to wrap it and lug it down to the Post Office so you write that it is collection only. But now you're screwed if some guy does a Buy Now on your desk and pays with Paypal. If he's a wrong'un, he collects the desk and goes home. The next day or the day after, he files a complaint with Paypal saying that the item has not arrived. YOU, as the seller, now have to provide the tracking number that you got at the Post Office (A Paypal requirement) You can't provide it so the guy gets a full refund AND gets to keep the desk because you have no idea where he lives so you can't knock on his door with the blunt end of a baseball bat.
In that kind of scenario, the only way round it is to accept the Paypal payment but write to the buyer saying that cash on collection is the only option (That would be on your listing as well) and that when he turns up, he pays the Buy Now price in cash and he then watches as you do a Paypal refund. Turning his face away as you log in to Paypal, obviously.
BTW, I don't sell as much now as I used to and I have nothing for sale right now so I'm not advertising my wares, :D but my eBay ID is stevie_blunder**

Good luck with your ebaying.
Steve

Reaction score
You can open an unpaid item case after 7 days letter once the transaction formed. If he still unpaid after 7 days later, he will get a unpaid strike from ebay and you will get the refund of final value fee.

Good luck to you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.