2.8 GHz Quad-Core Graphics Upgrade

Reaction score
I own a 2010 Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core with 8GB of 1066 DDR3 RAM. It currently has a ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card. I am looking to add another graphic card to my set-up to give me multiple monitor support all through DVI and none through mini-display.

I am looking for a two port DVI card that is compatible with my system. I would like to add it to the system and leave the ATI card so I can have 3 full DVI supported monitors.

I need it to have decent video specs as I am a video editor/graphic designer.

I have been looking all over the internet for a compatible model, but I guess I am looking in the wrong places. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I own a 2010 Mac Pro 2.8GHz Quad-Core with 8GB of 1066 DDR3 RAM. It currently has a ATI Radeon 5770 graphics card. I am looking to add another graphic card to my set-up to give me multiple monitor support all through DVI and none through mini-display.

I am looking for a two port DVI card that is compatible with my system. I would like to add it to the system and leave the ATI card so I can have 3 full DVI supported monitors.

I need it to have decent video specs as I am a video editor/graphic designer.

I have been looking all over the internet for a compatible model, but I guess I am looking in the wrong places. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The quick & easy choice would be an ATI Radeon 5870:

ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics Upgrade Kit for Mac Pro (Mid 2010 or Early 2009) - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Wow Nick, the cost of that board gives me sticker shock. But I guess if you own a Mac Pro, you shouldn't be worried about prices. :Smirk:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow Nick, the cost of that board gives me sticker shock. But I guess if you own a Mac Pro, you shouldn't be worried about prices. :Smirk:

Yes...not a price that should scare too many experienced Mac Pro users!;)

The ATI 5870 @$449 is basically double the video card as the ATI 5770 @$249 (kind of like a Core 2 Duo compared to a Core Solo).

If you REALLY want some Sticker-Shock...try this on for size:;)

NVIDIA Quadro 4000 for Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yikes, I had to hold on to my chair when I saw that. Reminds me of when I used to kid a friend of mine who owned a very expensive BMW and always complained about what the cost of parts were. Same thing applies here. ;D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yikes, I had to hold on to my chair when I saw that. Reminds me of when I used to kid a friend of mine who owned a very expensive BMW and always complained about what the cost of parts were. Same thing applies here. ;D

I don't think that many folks are buying that card!;)

$249 for the ATI 5770 actually is not too bad as Mac Pro video cards go. A VERY basic video card for a Mac Pro is the ATI GT120...which sold for $149 (but this is a VERY basic card).

I've been thinking about getting a 5770 for my 2009 Mac Pro for about the last year...but still trying to find a good used iPad 2 first!:)

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Yeah, that is my default to buy - the ATI 5870, but if I can, I am looking for a card that has two DVI ports - Dual link or single - not a mini display port.

Are there any NVIDIA or PNY cards that will work for Mac Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, that is my default to buy - the ATI 5870, but if I can, I am looking for a card that has two DVI ports - Dual link or single - not a mini display port.

Are there any NVIDIA or PNY cards that will work for Mac Pro?

Here's a bit of info on video cards for Mac Pro's. You basically have two avenues:

1. Genuine made for Macintosh (Mac Pro) video cards.
2. "Flashed" video cards originally made/programmed for Windows computers...and then "flashed" with Mac ROM to work with Mac Pro's.

I personally like to stick with the genuine cards...just so there's no (or less) potential headaches down the road.

As far as "Genuine" video cards for Mac Pro's. There really are not that many to choose from...and to make the choices even "thinner"...sometimes there are things that make some video cards (from older Mac Pro's) not compatible with newer Mac Pro's.

The ATI Radeon 5770 & 5870 are the video cards that Apple is currently shipping with the current line of Mac Pro's...so they can't be all that bad!:) Yes they have two mini-display ports (and one full-sized DVI port). Just need an adapter for the mini-display ports.

If you want a video card with two full-sized DVI ports...you will most likely have to use an older video card...and the performance of that video card may be worse than the 5770 you currently have.

It's always possible that if Apple updates the Mac Pro lineup...that a newer/better video card will ship with them...but then they will probably be expensive and there's no promise (in fact probably unlikely) that it will have two full-sized DVI ports.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.