How to make seagate 500gb portable compatible for mac and pc

Reaction score
How do i make my external portable hard disc 500gb Seagate FreeAgent Go (For windows only) compatible for both mac and pc.
Any other option thn formatting on FAT32 (Becs it got file size limitation of 4 GB)
By default will it b compatible for both mac and pc machines ?
I m using intel core 2 duo Macbook pro 2.53

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Download NTFS-3G and MacFuse in order to make OS X able to write to NTFS formatted drives and then format the drive as NTFS.

Reaction score
Download NTFS-3G and MacFuse in order to make OS X able to write to NTFS formatted drives and then format the drive as NTFS.

Or...
Use FAT32 to format the USB HD.
It isn't great - FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB per FILE, but otherwise, it's the easiest and most transportable. I use it to share my VMWare virtual machines between my Macs & PCs - as long as I tell VMWare to use 2GB "chunks" for the vmdk images.

If you use a FUSE driver, the USB drive works fine on your Mac, but not someone else's.

FAT32 works every where, including Linux.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Or...
Use FAT32 to format the USB HD.
It isn't great - FAT32 has a limitation of 4GB per FILE, but otherwise, it's the easiest and most transportable. I use it to share my VMWare virtual machines between my Macs & PCs - as long as I tell VMWare to use 2GB "chunks" for the vmdk images.

If you use a FUSE driver, the USB drive works fine on your Mac, but not someone else's.

FAT32 works every where, including Linux.
a simple cross-platform, built in solution? Too easy!~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M

Seriously? I haven't had this problem while using my external NTFS drive with other Mac or Windows machines!?!?

Or have I just missed something =p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Seriously? I haven't had this problem while using my external NTFS drive with other Mac or Windows machines!?!?

Or have I just missed something =p
How does it work on a mac without macfuse installed? ;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Thnks indeed for all the helpful responses
yesterday i bought the 500 gb hard disc and it works fine on both pc and mac without macfuse or fat32 formatting on it.I can acess all the files in it.Dont kno hw my mac automatically detected it ?
But the 8 gb pen drive which i bought along with it is not recognised on mac machine
y is it so ? eventhough both r NTFS formatted ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
More than likely it was formatted in FAT by the manufacturer. You can check, hook it up and look at the drive and do a right click and then get info.. it'll more than likely say MSDOS... that's FAT.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.