G5 1.8 - RAM Question...

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum so I'm sorry if this is in the wrong place.

I'm trying to find some memory for my brothers Power Mac G5. It's a dual core 1.8GHz. Currently (for some reason) it's for 1.25GB in the form of 2x512and 2x128 MB sticks. I don't have the Mac here so can't check anything specific but here's what he told me; the memory sticks say PC3200 U DDR SDRAM.

Can anyone recommend where I can get him some more memory. Ideally we're looking for a 2GB or 4GB kit. Any advice would be appreciated (I'm in the UK).

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score

Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed those on that site, I only seemed to come across quicker memory than PC3200.

As I'm new to Macs I'm not sure how much memory is recommended. I know, with my PC (urghh), I've got 4GB and it's great when designing/editing. Would 4GB be recommended for this Mac? He does a lot of editing in Final Cut Pro and design in Photoshop/Illustrator

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Thanks! I'm not sure how I missed those on that site, I only seemed to come across quicker memory than PC3200.

As I'm new to Macs I'm not sure how much memory is recommended. I know, with my PC (urghh), I've got 4GB and it's great when designing/editing. Would 4GB be recommended for this Mac? He does a lot of editing in Final Cut Pro and design in Photoshop/Illustrator

It has 2x512 and 2x128. I would replace the 2x128 with 2x1gb for a total of 3 Gbs, which should give a good boost in performance with video editing. Alternatively, get 4x1GB; the maximum memory this machine can have is 4gbs, so that would max it out.

The reason I like the Crucial site so much is that it tells you all this stuff right off the bat. Many sites don't bother.

OP
darrylyoung
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, thanks for that. I'm going to get him 4x1GB.

Thanks for your help, much appreciated :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.